Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track tyres for novice

Matt B

HI

I have a 98 Roadsport A and I plan to carry out several track days this year. The car came with Caterham 8 spokes and CR500's which i use on the road, but I have a spare set of 13" mini lites which i would like to use for track

Which tyres should i shod these with bearing in mind it will be my first foray on track in a Caterham:

ACB10's?

048'?

CR500;s

888's?

For 13" wheels, what size would be best all round?

Thank you and sorry for another thread on tyres!!

Matt

I guess i could leave my 8 spokes with Cr500's on if its wet but i'd rather use my track wheels on track. Might be better to go with a compromise such as the 021's in case it rains half way through the track day. Are 888's that bad in the damp / wet?

Matt

• Support Team

IME A021Rs don't last very long on a dry track day - they overheat and wear very quickly. I use CR500s for road and track but would probably use R888 medium if I had dedicated track wheels (I use R888 soft compound for sprinting). The other alternative is Kumho Ecsta V70A in medium compound - I have not tried these but most sprinters use them in soft for competion and some have used them in medium for trackdays with good results.

R888s/Kumhos/A048Rs are fine in the damp/wet - none of them are good in standing water but then IME A021Rs aren't that great in those conditions either.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Here's a different perspective on this.

Use Avon CR322's as used by the Academy. Why's that you ask? Because they have little grip which means: you won't be going so fast if it all goes pear shaped; you will be able to learn to drift the car at speeds you're more comfortable with and if you want to be quick you will need to be ultra-smooth in your inputs to steering, brakes and accelerator. Oh and their dirt cheap and hard wearing!

>

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

yep stay away from 21s, you'll cook them in the dry and they're not that grippy either, and although far better than AO48s in the wet they're not that brilliant

All tyres are going to be fairly rubbish in standing water as Caterhams are just too light and aquaplane very easily, but very few people enjoy it when the conditions are that bad. The only truly decent tyres for standing water are hand-cut wet race tyres.

In your position I'd be looking for some part-worn CR500s on ebay, it will feel the same as your road tyres, you won't have to make any changes to your car setup (ride height will be a bit higher with any of the 185/60 tyres), they're much better in the damp/wet than AO48s, and you shouldn't cook them too quickly in the dry.

I went over to 888 on 14" after the standard Avons - I cannot believe that there is such a difference ! I have never experienced the kind of change with tyres on any other vehicle that I have owned - I am now thinking of having a 13" set for track days only.