Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sacrifical anodes

Nick Woods

Ok, so I'm still rabbiting on about bimetallic corrosion smile.gif

From what I've learnt so far, it's possible to use a sacrifical anode to prevent two metals (such as the steel and aluminium used is a seven) from corroding it.

Has anyone tried this and if so what metal was used and did it work ?

Thanks

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

Edited by - Nick Woods on 25 May 2002 19:13:05

This idea has been around for decades and a few dubious sorts have tried to sell it to the car owning public. Unfortunately unlike boats (where this method of corrosion prevention is widely used, ask any canal boat owner) cars are not fully submerged in water (very often!). This means that the elctrical circuit for the sacrificial reaction is not completed and therefore doesn't work.

Best sticking to rinsing the car off with clean water and parking in a nice warm dry garage, with the odd application of WD or waxoyl aerosol around the back suspension and down the sides of the footwells etc...

Cheers

Bob

Bob

On your advice I now plan to park my car in the canal, after all I've never seen a rusty supermarket trolley in there wink.gif

I do have shinier rear wings than you

Paul

"I had a car like that before the war" confused.gif

Thanks Bob - I'll give this up as a bad idea then. Once I've sorted out the corrosion I do have (which isnt a huge amount) I'll just make sure to drown the thing in Waxoyl and repeat every year.

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

Hmmm ...

How about a swirl-pot like thing in the return pipe from the engine to the rad, with a 1" thread in the bottom and a magnesium stick plugged-in right there? They use these things in larger heating tanks. These 'sticks' are way too long for car use (8"-10"), but can obviously be cut down.

Would one need to have a 'ground' strap from the aluminium cylinder head to the 'pot' ? I was told so, but the water itself would conduct the current, wouldn't it ?

Cheers! - Karsten

I was inspecting corrosion in the ballast tanks of a supertanker a few weeks ago, The crew had taken extra special care of their anodes - given them a nice new coat of paint *because they were rusty* he proudly announced!

[b)]

Nick

Galvanic Cathodic protection is quite common and works well on structures that are floating or buried.

As aluminium is significantly more anodic than steel it will tend to protect the frame at the cost of the body.

It would be quite difficult to find a metal that was much more anodic than aluminium that wasn't very reactive.

Aluminium is commonly used as sacrificial anodes on ships (zinc and magnesium are used as well.

I would think the best answer is paint or coating if possible.