Click here if you are having website access problems ×

QED Fast Road/Trackday Kit - 175* bhp

markb905

I am considering up grading my VVC with a QED kit The kit includes a DTA full engine management package, a set of QED direct to head throttle bodies, and a pair of QED Q375HK profile hydraulic camshafts. In addition to this I intend to have the head gas flowed, and replace the exhaust with a 4.2.1 with Long primaries. this is looking like about £4,250 at the moment

I have spoken to Caterham Midlands who are happy to assist in getting the work done, But before i leap in. I have a few questions

1) Has any one done this yet?

2) it has been suggested that the QED throttle bodies will require the bonnet to be cut to allow for the filters etc is that the case?.

3) given that a DIY job is not realy an option, due to being a mechanical dunce, do you think this is a value for money option

This will be an out of season job so i have some time to plan and look at other options so any suggestions of alternative ideas would be welcome.

Mark Bennett

PS I am aware of lots of postings re this in the past but not any recent ones on this specific kit

Mark, QED built my engine, speced to the vhpd level of 190+ bhp, using DTA and the throttle bodies, and 4-2-1 exhaust. Just at the break in point, performance is awesome. Only downside was high compression ratio of 12:4:1. Tom

thanks for the replies, Tom, was this basicly the the same starter kit ie the 175, but with extras as I have discribed or a different QED kit?, what your view on my cost estimate, it includes Caterham taking out and replacing the engine.

what's the reasoning behind the jump in compresion? (Does it matter anyway?), I was more concerned about it droping ie with the material removed through gas flowing the head.

thanks for the bonnet info, i was advised that i may have needed to change it,

Mark Bennett

Edited by - markb905 on 25 May 2002 08:16:43

Mark, I bought the engine from QED. I told them I wanted it speced to the VHPD level. They told me that they could set it up with around 205 bhp. I expected a compression ratio of around 11:5:1. My dyno sheet showed 197 bhp and 150 ft/lbs of torque. As for whats really inside??? Dyno sheet indicates the 375 cams. Price was 7800 pounds. Not including alot of the ancilliaries I was told were included. The exhast was separate as well.

Tom, thanks for the info, the cams are the same so it should be intresting to see what this ends up with power wise, i am looking for around 185 by keeping the revs down to around 7200, mind you i will be happy with "awesome" as you put it, a much better discription that bhp fig's.

Mark

Hi Mark

'I' have done this to my 1600 - all as per your posting...great!thumbsup.gif

The man who did it all was Nigel Keats (01527 821675). Worth calling him!

btw - the car goes well (well it did until it hit the wall at Shelsley 2 weeks ago that is!) sad.gif

cheers

Steve

Thanks for all the comments, I have read through most of Dave Andrews stuff and have found it very usefull, have spoken today to Roger King who has been extreamly helpful as have, to be fair the people at QED and Minister, only problem is the options are growing (as is the price!)I will be contacting the other suggestions over the next few days.

One thing that is difficult is being able to assess the risks/reliablity of different options, not sure there is an easy answer to that. Mind you i have taken note of your previous comments Peter about milder cams and porting vs higher revs, which makes sense to me.

Mark