Click here if you are having website access problems ×

major creaks from A frame

rob spencer

• Support Team

the car*s only done 600 miles but developed a very loud and coarse creak both when driving over semi rough roads and when i get in and out.

It seems to be emanating from the A frame offside anchorage.

The washers used for assembly were smeared with grease.

Can someone explain the principle of the fixing? Does the bush and steel sleeve in its middle rotate with the A frame or is the sleeve meant to be clamped solid by the tightened bolt clamping the bolt, the washers and the sleeve as one so as to use the elasticity of the rubber in the bush to take up the rotation of the A frame.

In short, is it likely that the lubrication of the washers is causing the creaking?

rob

• Area Representative

Have a look on a recent thread about creaking noises and you could find a smear of grease on the suspension unit will rectify things. Something to do with the suspension spring slightly rubbing on the damper (oh er, missus!) [:o}

Nick cool.gif

Mine had exactly this problem. I found that it was nothing more than the powder coat getting worn away from the front A frame mounting bolts. To correct simply remove these one at a time,(with the weight of the car being suported on the suspension),apply a liberal spray of Copper Grease then replace and torque up again. Hey Presto, silent running again. (Well comparatively, anyway!)

X77CAT