Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SWMBO

Neil_K

Wifey is not amused that I refer to her as SWMBO but then can't tell her exactly what it stands for. Anyone able to enlighten me?

Once we're had the real answer (please!!!), you people can carry on with the comedy suggestions

Where am I?

Windycat has it correctly .

It originated in the Rider Haggard novel 'She' but was popularised later in the John Mortimer series “Rumpole of the Bailey.” In it, Rumpole refers to his wife as “She Who Must Be Obeyed".

A Woman's Place is - in her Se7en

• Area Representative

Neil

Let SWMBO know that as used by Mortimer it is clearly a term of affection. Also ask her to consider the alternatives.

"The wife" ghastly

"The other half" are we not all fully formed individuals?

If you get on to the PC versions I start to cringe

If you use the term "my partner" several assume it may be a same sex partner or a business partner - it's terrible

You are not going to use the patronising "little woman" are you?

Nor the Minder derived "'er indoors" so dated.

Barbarella I thought it was actually 'popularised' by the film version of the book here.The masses didn't read the book but after the film, She Who Must Be Obeyed entered the common language as a term.

It's funny how you can omit the 4th word and you get the traditional christian marriage vow, what a difference just two letters can make.

Dicks

Sorry, yes I'm here. I told her it was 'She Who Makes Bad Odours' as a joke. I've only just been let out ..... 😔

Anyway, she's been my finance (yes you read that correctly) for 15 months now. In 5 weeks time she will officially become Mrs K! But for a lifetime she will has been and will remain SWMBO *cry*

Where am I?