Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Princess Feels Pea Through 10 Matresses

alextangent

Just put on some of George Polley's finest A021s with new K&N Minators, and wow, what a difference in grip from the set of Goodyear NCTs it was on. So soft that they pick up and fire grit an the rear wings...

BUT two niggles;

The sidewalls seem a LOT harder; I'm bouncing about everywhere. 17PSI all round. I'll have to let the shocks off a bit, it really is a big difference.

Road noise; they hum at anything over 20mph. Loudly. At 40, they can be heard over the induction noise off the carbs, and that's noisy.

Normal?

Alex McDonald

PASSED THE MOT!!!

I've just had A021s fitted to Caterham 14" alloys and am running these at 19psi at the moment.

Within 2 miles there was a real improvement in grip over the old ZV1s, and that was in the wet. The tyres throw up so much muck now I'll be washing the car at bit more often *rolleyes*

However I've not really noticed any extra bounce. Never having had the Goodyears I can't comment on those.

The road noise is different to the old tyres, but I wouldn't say it's significantly louder. I certainly don't notice it over the noise of a 1.8K roadsport.

Mark

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm

On the road noise, I thought I had mismounted them and had the direction of rotation the wrong way. Checked, and they're the right way round.

Harshness of ride; they're 185/70R13 so plenty of sidewall. I'll try letting the shocks off a bit tonight (assuming the weather is ok). My 🙆🏻 is well padded, but it's just a bit too hard and rattling my teeth. Don't want to go from a full set of nashers 😬 to this 😳.

Did about 10 miles last night on them. Grip is truly amazing, even though they're brand new and have release agent on them. *thumbup* Axle rippers

Alex McDonald

PASSED THE MOT!!!

Mine are 185/60 R14 so a different profile.

I span the wheels leaving home this morning and was told to slow down by a pedestrian, even though I was only doing 20mph at the time *redface*. Not surprising from cold with the release agent still on the tyres, although could it indicate the pressure is a bit high?

However the tyres are new so I need to experiment a bit with pressures.

I'll check if it 19psi tomorrow as I hope they'll be a bit warm when I get home tonight...

Mark

Just checked the archives and the consensus appears to be that 17-18 psi gives good grip and even tyre wear.

I'll change it tomorrow.

Mark

• Support Team

I run mine at 16psi as Martin. Been fine for 3000 miles.

Originally delivered with 25psi and spent most of the LADS day at Curborough going backwards 😳

I find them more compliant that the 48's I had before....

Hi, Changing the subject slightly I'm thinking of changing from my ZV3s to Toyo R888s but you all seem to be talking about the Yokos which has put doubt in my mind. Which of these two would I get the best road mileage from? bearing in mind anything is better than the ZV3s. *confused*

Peter. PS I'm running on 185/60/14s

Edited by - Pete-B on 17 Apr 2008 18:59:19

Alex,

That will be a new diff in a few weeks then :)

I am thinking of the R888s for my summer tyre, did you get a good deal on the Yokos?

I'll help you with the Ford install anytime you feel the need.

Jon

-----------------------------------

Ital or Ford... the choice is yours....

Hmmm, I'll have the ford please Bob.

I run my A021s at a little more than 17psi but less than 18psi on my 1.6K SS. I don't notice excessive road noise. I SAID I DON'T NOTI...

It's probably my imagination, but there seems to be a sweet spot pressure. Too near to 17psi and I lose feel, strangely, and a bit of driveability. Too close to 18psi and I bounce along the road like Tigger with a large doubt about whether I will have enough grip for the fast approaching right/left hander.

Peter

In Memoriam DMG