Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adding Thermostat to EU2 Race Engine

David Lynch

So the racers took them out as one more thing to fail. After 21K miles though reckon it's high time to fit one to a predominantly road car.

Currently relying on Gaffer tape on the Radiator to get up to temperature on road *tongue*.

Anyone got details of the plumbing required (I'm assuming there's a clue with the submarine T pipe)? Housing, thermostat, few hose mod's ???

Ta, David

I must remember that I'm in public

• Support Team

I asume that all the racers do is remove the thermostat from it's housing which is the black plastic thing on the driver's side of the engine block that has a J tube coming out of it. You could just put a thermostat back in there (88 degree standard, 82 degree if you want to run a bit cooler and 74 degree if you are paranoid and don't want your car to get up to proper operating temperature). From memory there is a bolt to be removed and then the housing just pulls out of the block - not easy though given it's position under the plenum/throttlebodies.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

From memory there is a bolt to be removed and then the housing just pulls out of the block

No need to remove housing from block, just undo the 3 bolts and open the housing, and insert the thermostat.

I've just removed the thermostat (temporarily) as it was suspect....How many strips of gaffer tape generally needed on the rad at this time of the year? Will be fitting a remote in due course

Malcolm

My ex race engine came w/o thermostat - as Shaun says all they do is remove it from the housing. Single bolt and a lot of swearing and grazed knuckles to remove it. I put an 82 degree stat in mine, and drilled a small pilot hole (2mm) to allow it to bleed air.

Dave

Think I need to do a flow diagram and set my mind at rest as to what I have/don't have. Never been a Heater on my car (can still cook a footwell or two!) *wink*

Notice Caterham only listing an R500 74°C unit and not 82° or 88° *confused*

I must remember that I'm in public

Edited by - David Lynch on 15 Apr 2008 21:59:44

Fit and 82 degree PRT stat *thumbup*

Stat now £21 (sed to be £9 untill Land rover got their mits on it *mad*)

32mm T piece £8

and depending on what hoses you have and your installation a couple of bits of rubber.

Installed correctly it works perfectly with minimum warm up, and exceelent return temperature control.

forget using 74 degree stat in the OE location.

Too young to be old !

forget using 74 degree stat in the OE location.

Isn't the R500 engine using just that? I have at least seen one dyno graph indicating that a lower water temp was beneficial from a power POV.

or fit a remote thermostat in the top hose

I'm not too sure I agree with that either. Wrong side of the radiator. Remote location is ok though.

I recently acquired a 98 Roadsport A EU2 ex racer. Not sure if fitted with a thermostat or not. However i have an unidentified switch on the dash which when i flick over seems to affect the running temperature. What can this be?

Matt

Matt,

The switch (toggle between oil pressure and temp guages usually) switches between oil and coolant temperature readings on the temp guage. Normally set so that when switched to the oil pressure side it reads oil temp and to the temp guage side reads coolant temp.

You can check this by watching the temps whilst warming the car up. Coolant temp will come up before oil temp.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear