Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting problem. What else could it be?

Adam H

Ok, so I was getting the click of death or at least that's what I thought it was.

So, over the last 12 months or so I've changed the starter motor, battery master switch and finally had a new battery.

When I try and start the car in the garage to take it out after it's been sat for a week it normally starts first time with no problems.

However, when I'm out and about and stop somewhere for a few mins or an hour or so and come back to the car it's a pig to start most of the time (sometimes it starts 1st time again but mostly it just clicks). I end up either having to bump start it or waiting for it to decide to start which sometimes it does after a few presses of the button and sometimes after quite a few more.

There doesn't seem to be any logic to it so before I take it back to CC Mids AGAIN are there any thoughts on what it might possibly be 🤔

Cheers

Adam

1400ss 6sp LSD

It could be a bad earth, a bad connector or even a fractured cable that breaks down due to temperature change.

When it happens try - out of gear - connect the small solenoid switch wire 'white / red ?' direct to the battery feed, this will bypass ignition switch etc.

If you are brave - You could try a pair of jump leads direct to the starter.

Good luck *thumbup*

Adam

Sounds like the solenoid contact solder, hot engine, gap opens up, thing.

See the post by 'Martin Erhard' near the bottom of this page here it may have the solution.

Tim

PS how's the engine upgrade coming on?

Edited by - Tim V-W on 14 Apr 2008 16:32:43

Edited by - Tim V-W on 14 Apr 2008 16:34:17

Edited by - Tim V-W on 14 Apr 2008 16:36:52

• Area Representative

If it is the click of death, a new starter, battery and master switch won't cure it. If it is happening when the engine is hot then it could be the click of death and a relay is the way to cure it. It could also be a poor earth or contact somewhere.

To find out if a relay is the cure, I suggest making a wire about 1 metre long with a male lucar connector at one end and a female lucar connector at the other. Remove the lead from the starter and put this long lead in as a kind of extension.

Next time it fails to start, you can unfasten the lead and touch it to the positive terminal of the battery. This will send current direct to the starter. If it is successful, then fit a relay.

You could of course fit a relay anyway - it will cost less than £10 and take about 30 minutes. Blatmail me if you want details.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks for the input guys.

Got a relay and inline fuse etc today so might give it a go tonight and see what happens.

Tim - engine upgrade isn't happening for the time being I'm afraid as finances won't allow it. Hope your is going well though. Is it all finished now?

Adam

1400ss 6sp LSD