Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Vernier Setup on K (again)

Wrightpayne

I 've trawled the archive and cannot find what I'm looking for.

Basically, I need to change my cam belt and want to fit my verniers at the same time. Until I can get down to see oily, need a safe useable starting point.

I seem to remember that one of the cams could be move one tooth but cannot remember which one nor which direction. I get confused with the terms advance or retard!!

Also, need to know the part number for the VVC belt which is slightly wider. And finally, do I need to change the manual adjuster while I'm at it?

Hoping to get the bits in the morning!!

Regards

Ian

• Leadership Team

Verniers - scribe all the relavent markings on the new verniers as per Oily's web page - inlet, exhaust, & direction marks. Then with the old pulleys removed, sit each vernier over the old pulleys and adjust to be an identicle match to the old pulleys.

Stu.

I get confused with the terms advance or retard!!

As you look at the front of the engine, the crankshaft rotates clockwise, with the camshafts likewise. Advance a camshaft by rotating it clockwise relative to the crankshaft and retard it by rotating anticlockwise. Therefore at TDC on non firing stroke, advancing the inlet camshaft will increase lift and for the exhaust camshaft will reduce lift.

Also, need to know the part number for the VVC belt which is slightly wider. And finally, do I need to change the manual adjuster while I'm at it?

Not sure of the part number for the belt, but is wise to change the manual tensioner.

You might want to take a look at my cam timing info. here and here

This was based on Oily's instructions - and although he could find fault with other aspects of my engine building, he couldn't fault me on the accuracy of my cam-timing *tongue* *wink* *cool*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com