Click here if you are having website access problems ×

[Vaguely serious]Could you sign up here please?[/VS]

GTD

Done!

How can they call this an 'Eco town' - sheer lunacy. I don't know why we need all these houses anyway, there are loads of houses and flats to rent and the buy-to-let bubble is collapsing, so rents will go down and houses will come on to the market.

There are similar proposals for Havant/Waterlooville - admittedly we could do with more 'social' housing and that isn't, in the main what is being built. Problem was all the years that local councils could sell off property and were not required - or even allowed - to use the money to build more.

But Eco it isn't. A recent article in our local free paper exposed the myth of one supposedly eco-friendly social housing development - no more energy efficient than many houses built in the 1960's and later improved with insulation and double glazing.

Are you a member of your local Friends of the Earth Group - they could be great allies and sign up to the petition.

A Woman's Place is - in her Se7en

Edited by - Barbarella on 11 Apr 2008 12:33:19

" I don't know why we need all these houses anyway, there are loads of houses and flats to rent and the buy-to-let bubble is collapsing, so rents will go down and houses will come on to the market"

Hmmm but none of that will change the overall number of properties available to live in, all it will do is move some from being occupied by a tenant to being occupied by the owner

We need more houses cos there are not enough to go around hence prices going through the roof - except in Climping where they have gone through the floor and down into the soil

Supercheese R250

Caterham pictures here 😬

Thing is in a village of 600, about 300 were built in the last 15 years, and certainly over a hundred in the 7 years we've been here. In addition they've redeveloped Littlehampton docks for the champagne bar dwellers like Paul, and they've built Housing Assoc properties in LA and another village (circa 50) for his staff!

Eco warrior and burger flipper!

Warning - no Caterham content here

Geoff

I checked my local Havant group website here and they have a link to Brighton and Hove here, and also Manhood Peninsula here- suggest you call the Brighton area organiser and ask if there is one in between. I'm sure they will be sympathetic - let me know. Look on the links pages for the groups to see if there are other organisations that might support you too.

After years of supporting FoE in principle, I recently bit the bullet and joined my local group - wish I'd done it before.

Paul,

The point is that the rented and houses for sale are too expensive for the people that really need housing. Look at the prices of housing developments in your area. Look up what the average wage and national min. wage are and think about those in comparison to what the mortgage or rent would be on available housing. Doesn't really match does it.

Those who bought to let are now having problems renting because they are having to ask too much to pay the mortgage OR they are being repossessed because of the differential between rent and mortgages. Some people who borrowed more than the value of their home to get cashbacks are really in the poo and going into negative equity. At least some of those properties will find their way back on to the market possibly at more affordable prices.

Without wishing to sound in the least bit racist - because I'm not - if less people were able to come and live here from EU or other countries, we wouldn't have this problem. We are an island and at some point just HAVE to say, sorry no, we're full. And full means that we are not prepared to build on every bit of green space to accommodate more people.

As GTD says for his area, not enough jobs or local amenities (jobs, roads, doctors, hospitals, schools, electricity, water, etc etc.) to support development and that is the same story around the country wherever more housing is being planned. Tony B Liar's 'joined up Government' isn't working.

I have to add that property prices in this specific area do not show the inflationary tendencies that the rest of the country is facing. Our house here has gone up by 20% in the past 7 years. The house I sold in Windsor to buy this one has gone up by 77% in that time. It doesn't show a huge demand led pressure in this part of the world!

GTD - ECO warrior, burger flipper but not an investment manager

Without wishing to sound in the least bit racist - because I'm not

Is that a direct quote from the BNP ????

Not sure its Polish migrant workers forcing up house prices , more likely its them building them because the unemployed in this country will not sully thier hands doing manual work

One of the main reasons for the house price demand is that single people like you and I refuse to live in one bed room flats and take up a dissprportionate amount of the development footprint

Now with the case of the Climping conerbation, the GTDeeeze have a valid poiint, it is illogical, I get the impression it is only because it has a flat airfield that it is being considered, especialy having tried to drive thier on a Friday evening

Some of the other developments though do have a perfect valid case especially the 2 local (ish) to me . It would be sad to see Curbugger go, but the East midlands is still one place where new house availbilty is still outstripped by demand hence even on a falling market house prices are rising

The fight that should be had is to create genuine Eco developments , ie near the point of employment, with true public service transport and a car free enviroment.

Proper local infrastructure (Churches , schools , medical centres etc)

The so called Eco houses do not even meet the proposed 2010 legislation let allone German current building standards

There needs to be a change in planing legislation that means the proposed infrastructure is built first not last.

Currently developers will promise community facilities but they never get built . that part of the development is negative on the OI . SO more houses get built putting further presure on the local community and more tension created that simmers over years.

I live on such a development. in 2002 the development of some 2,500 houses started , still no school, no pub, no shop not even a post box. So for every aminity I have to drive,

Funny all those facilities are shown on the original development plan

Mission accomplished

I agree with all of that Delbert *eek*

>

A related point is that the people in planning/well meaningdom think they understand what is needed to meet their aspirations. So on our development of 40 houses they insisted for planning consent that there be 'home working' facilities. So there is a CAT 5 cabled up 'Telecottage' on site that has never seen use. People like me who work from home more than 50% of the time do it on broadband and wireless in our kitchens. There is no way I would waste my own company's money on renting space with - wowee - a photocopier and printer!

Look at the Ego Village proposals and what do we see - 'shared conference faciltities available to encourage people to work from home'. If this wasn't going to blight my village it would be hilarious. Shall I try getting that through on my next expense claim and see what they say?

Delbert and others please note. Any suggestion that I have anything to do with BNP or any other racist organisation I would consider to be libellous.

The house that I live in is far above the cost where the average FTB would be interested and that is where the housing shortage is.

And btw, I am NOT single - unless there has been a divorce when I wasn't looking,

I too agree with Delbert (!!?? 😳) it's all about developing in the right places, where there's actually a demand for it rather than propose these knee-jerk solutions on convenient pieces of land.

What a ridiculous proposal regarding the home-working ... surely if you have the opportunity to work from home you'd rather be somewhere remote?? It seems strange that they think a town would attract people who could basically live anywhere. Although being in town was convenient whilst I was working, now that I'm not I want to move out.

It'll become a commuting town like any other in a decent location and without the right road links - clogged with cars and how can they say they'll provide facilities like schools etc when they're closing them in most of the rural villages and towns as it is!?

The area where my parents live in Derby has been continuously developed since we moved there in '76. There were already schools and a park within walking distance and it's close to a junction on the A38 one way and the city the other. Like most, our cul-de-sac (how posh! *tongue*) was full of young families during the '80's, however the demographic is completely different on that estate now as many of the 4/5 bed houses are occupied by pensioners.

As it turns out due to the amount of development since then, there have been more families encouraged into the area and shops, facilities and decent bus routes have been provided, but there'll come a time when most of the children have left home, completely changing the requirements of the area.

So I personally reckon any new development should concentrate on one particular demographic rather than guess at what people want. Therefore I propose 'grey towns' for pensioners who will then free up the larger houses. Provide energy efficient houses with big gardens, still close to schools to provide childcare support, and with an excellent bus service (otherwise what's the point of a free bus pass) and community facilities such as a village hall ( bowling green etc )