Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bike Computer Magnet - Genius or Insanity

Dick Whittington

... well they say there is a fine line

Having bought a Sigma BC-1606L bike computer, I just wasn’t happy with the placement of the magnet and pick up. The ideal placement of one was always a compromise for the other.

So, whilst standing on the shoulders of giants like Miles and Strangely, I decided to go back to the drawing board and see if there was another way.

The magnet is design to be fitted to a bicycle spoke so I though why not use that fixing rather than discarding it.

So what I did was to buy 3 bicycle wheel spokes, cut them to a length slightly shorter than the diameter of the brake disc. Then I inserted the spokes in the ventilation slots 120 degrees apart with a slight bend to ensure they are secure. Then I tied them together with zip ties and clipped the magnet on. “Hey Presto” the magnet sits in front of the pickup and everything works beautifully – for now! *smile*

See picture here

Now this may not be a good idea in the long run:

1. The spokes are stiff and hard. If they come out or brake things could go a bit “Pete Tong”. This is why there are three of them zip tied together with paint marks where they touch the hub to show if any movement has occurred (visible in picture). They are difficult to move (need to use a screwdriver on the ends) because the inside of the vents are not machined.

2. They may heat up too much and melt the magnet attachment and zip ties, but the contact is minimal.

3. They may create hot spots in the disc, but they don’t block the vents and the contact is minimal.

Anyway I think I’ll monitor it closely for a while. 🙅🏻‍♂️

Dick

And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by

Why don't you just glue the magnet to the head of the bolt which holds teh disc in place, then make a small bracket from a piece of 1mm aluminium slipped between the uprignt and the steering arm. very neat and out of the way. If you want better response add a second magnet on the opposite bolt.

Worked fine for me

Simon

And nothing too potentially damaging is being introduced to the wheel area. *idea*

Those spokes are secure because of their "hardness" but are also a hazard for the same reason.

I would lock them together with wire; even a paper clip bit of wire would be more suitable than a zip tie IMHO.

Alex: Yes my worry exactly; seems a little over-engineered, but that's me all over.

Simon: I've not seen a custom mount for the pick up before. Got a picture?

susser: Yes I thought a blob of aradite at each crossover should do the trick.

Dick

And all I ask is a fast car and a momo to steer her by

• Area Representative

I've tried various methods of attaching the magnet, but in my experience the best solution is to araldite the magnet to the drive shaft (De dion cars only) and fix pickup to a bracket on diff. Wires then all hidden in transmission tunnel etc. I've run this for 4 years now and no problems.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Area Representative

If I get wheelspin in 4th gear I'd be too busy to look at the speedo.

I'd also be too busy to look at a speedo reading 'o' if I was at speed with front wheels locked.

Advantage of fixing to drive shaft is that everything is neat and out of sight.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Well yes it is. If you use a mass of 1 then you get an answer in Newtons. Divide that by 9.81 and you get a "gravity multiplication". In other words how many times heavier the object is;

Because it's only the Omega squared that is exponential.

As I see it.

Umm - I take it that you looked at my site and then climbed the North wall of the Eiger instead... here

All you need is a haberdashery magnet and some epoxy...

Credit to Mav here - I used to epoxy a magnet to the wheel rim - but this was a pain in the arse for more reasons than I can be bothered to type at this time of night...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com