Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fitting carbon dash.

del boy

Mr Hooper,

Are you looking to get hold of a blank dash in order to do your own thing? I tried to get my new car delivered with a blank carbon dash but Caterham say they don't supply them.(they can only supply precut in either analogue or stack dash layouts).It looks like the only way to do your own is to lay a piece of flat carbon over the top of the existing one and glue/bolt it into place. (Unless anyone knows any better?)

I received a plain cf-dash about 6 weeks ago directly from Caterham, was a LHD though. But I bet they´re doing a plain RHD, too.

Take off the scuttle (not too much effort when no cage fitted), drill the old rivets out and place the new board over the old one. Mark the holes with a proper pen and remember that the holes shift between old & new board for about 1-2mm in a certain direction. Stupid work but worth doing it properly. Wait until you cut the cf, I still found cf-dust in my hair/bed/nose two days later....smile.gif

Marius

I got a plain undrilled rhd cf dash from Caterham in Feb this year. They had to order it specially though which took about 2 weeks.

I asked how much the cost saving would be for them not having to drill the holes. Guess what? The additional price for a special order was exactly the same as the cost saving.... What a surprise.

how did you make the holes in the dash?

i was thinking that i'd make the hole a bit smaller than required with block of wood behind it and masking tape on the front. and then file it out until the instruments fitted.

did you have problems with it?

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Hoopy, cf is very easy and nice to work with (except the dust part...). Just drill it and file it out, you don´t even need a block behind it. Just do it carefully and not in a rush. If you want to fit round instruments: fix the middle point, draw a circle around it, drill 1-2mm beside that line and file the rest. Works well and is quickly done with cf. But it will take you at least one evening just to do the holes + evening fitting the thing.

Looks the business though... thumbsup.gif

Marius