Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CSR oil level query

Dizz

Hadnot use the car for about 7 weeks (been doing some winter maintenance jobbies – none involving the engine/oil system). Started it up and after about 10 mins noticed a small pool of oil on the floor coming out of the breather tube underneath and about ½” in the catch-tank.

Tried to take a tower level reading as the engine got hot and the whole dip stick was covered in oil. It looked like the tower was full (don’t know how the inside of the tower is constructed). ?? I went for a short blat and same effect – dribble of oil out of the breather tube and about an inch in the catch-tank. I am taking the reading on a warm/hot stopped engine as per CC guidance.

I had not noticed any such symptoms the last few times I’d been out - always check fluid levels. So, drained the system overnight using the front drain tap and it gave up about 4.5 litres. I assume that there will be a little oil remaining in the system, including the tower. I re-filled with new oil to the same amount (i.e. 4.5 litres), started her up and let it get hot, then took a level reading with the same result – oil all over the dip-stick with a little in the catch tank.

‘On the road’ oil pressure is between 4 and 7 bar and the oil temp is 70+. The water temp is normal at about 80. Assuming I have slightly overfilled and the excess is rightly going into the catch tank, I can’t understand why I am getting an almost completely oil-covered dip-stick when taking a level reading ???

Any thoughts please ?

DD02CAT

I assume by "tower" you have a dry sump with the oil tank in the bell housing. By definition dry sump systems need to have the oil hot & the engine running to check oil level.

However CC may have issued different instructions for the CSR owing to the difficulty of checking oil levels with clean oil on a dipstick . So I would have thought you must check within 5 seconds of turning off to get an accurate level.

And yes the symptoms you describe are probably through over filling. Dry sump systems have a nice habit of finding their own levels & ejecting excess oil.

However give CC a ring in the morning to confirm.

I would say the dipstick is best treated with a pinch of salt and a slight overfill technique is used. After a few miles of looking at what it does/doesn't use you can add 'x' per 'y' miles. I know its different (K) but 100ml/100 miles seems just about enough for mine and the faff technique that I saw along with the inconsistant dipstick readings made me give up with the dipstick. A Mocal tank mounted on the bulkhead makes it all much easier.

HTH