Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Loctite and gasket sealants for flywheel & sump

Griff

I've started to transfer bits onto my "spare" engine, not sure if should I be using Loctite on the flywheel and/or clutch cover bolts?

And can anyone tell me which sealant I need for the dry sump to block joint?

Last but not least, CC forgot to include a water rail to block gasket with my order - anyone know the part number and the best place to get one (on a Sunday)?

Thanks all..!!

Mike

If you don't want them to come loose (and those you don't) then loctite them (it will also seal any possible oil leaks through from the crankcase if appropriate on you engine) Use Medium strength thread lock , currently 243

Loctite also do an Anerobic sealant suitable for sealing the sump. It's orange and I have forgotten the number but a search should reveal it

(574 I think....)

Edited by - ECR on 5 Apr 2008 21:17:39

Edited by - ECR on 5 Apr 2008 21:18:43

K series?

flywheel bolts

New flywheel bolts come with threadlock already applied.

sealant I need for the dry sump to block joint

I use a cut down wet sump gasket, works well *thumbup*

water rail to block gasket

Presume you mean water rail to head gasket? Easy to make one up with card and fit with Hylomar sealant *thumbup*

Edited to add: make sure the water rail flange is flat ( mine was distorted) and the fixing bolts are not too long and bottom out.

Malcolm

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 5 Apr 2008 22:57:10

Griff,

Have you ever used Hondabond. It is what most GP bike engines are covered in. I have found it much better than Loctite.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Threebond-1207B-Honda-bond-black-silicone-sealant_W0QQitemZ370024341164QQihZ024QQcategoryZ25632QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Threebond is the OEM version. Yamabond is similar to HOndabond but is more viscous and grey in colour, IMO it is slightly more difficult to work but it does the same job.

HTH