Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Power

markw

Hoopy, I've got Peter's spreadsheet and have superimposed all of my milestone measurements onto it. It's dead good, you can see exactly where the benefits are relative to each other. I'm after other people's CSV files or whatever the files are that come off the rolling road, but only those who have the 1227 cams.

It's like virtual tuning isn't it? smile.gif

hoopy, Bill,

Max acceleration is at max power.

If you are at max power, you will be in a lower gear compared to max torque and will *always* have better acceleration. Torque figures are only useful for caluclations in specific gears and for them to be any use you need to know everything about the gearing - ie. gear ratio, final drive ratio, tyre circumference. With power you can ignore all that and just come up with the answer:

Power= Force * speed

Force= mass * acceleration

Therefore Power= mass * acceleration * speed

Therefore acceleration = power/mass/speed

QED

Peterid=blue>

eek.gifSecond loser, Class 5, Curborough May 2002id=red>

hmm... i think my thoughts are right in isolation - as you say they work for comparing in gear times if you know everything else. but they look at a specific instant / gear and your thoughts look at the whole run. also you get F=ma in there and therefore convince me i was wrong!

i'm happy now - i was worried that physics had stopped working earlier! smile.gif

cheers for the spreadsheet - the modem's stil eating it...

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Hoopy, my V8 is not highly tuned. It runs a mild cam and standard sized valves. It makes 180ftlb at idle and you can easily pull away from rest in 4th gear with no risk of damage to the clutch - is that 'torquey' enough for you ?

For a lengthy discussion of the whole topic have a look at www.seight.com/torque.html

Regards,

Ian