Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Starter Motor?

Kermit the K

I'm about to get the 7 back on the road after hibernation 😬

Last year it began to have trouble starting when hot.

Are there any options regarding replacement starter motors,(1997 1.6K) or do I have to order one from Caterham?

Everything Louder Than Everything Else - Lemmy, Motorhead.

• Area Representative

If it's the dreaded click, then a new starter won't be the cure. Relay mod is the answer.

What are the symptoms? Is engine turning over? Is it turning over quickly enough? Does it fire?

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

It will normally start fine when cold, but if I try to restart when up to temperature (ie after fueling up at a petrol station) it will do half a turn very slowly and then nothing(& no "click")as if the battery is flat.

If I leave it for ten minutes it will usually start again without a problem *confused*

Everything Louder Than Everything Else - Lemmy, Motorhead.

Not enough amps getting to the starter is the most likely cause. Poor earth of worn FIA switch are 2 possibilities.

I'd suggest the relay mod as your first action. Also when it fails to start try holding the FIA switch into the on position (assuming you have one of course) while you try to start the car.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

There a loads of posts on here about this problem and the various causes but they can all be eliminated without huge expense. The ‘relay mod’, a new separate relay bypassing the MFU can done for a few pounds, ditto a new 24inch positive battery cable direct from the battery to starter will eliminate the long path via cut off switch. If you still have the problem then it will most likely be the soldered connections on the starter solenoid, possibly the main culprit anyway. Again, it can be resoldered for nothing or replaced relatively cheaply. Having carried out the relay mod and shortened the wiring I traced the fault to the solenoid. My car is also a 97 with the solenoid on top of the starter which cooks nicely. The solder eventually cracks and when hot a minute gap opens and contact is broken. Just a nudge on the cables will often get you started under these conditions.

I have resoldered mine a couple of times and it lasts a few months but am finally replacing with a new unit this weekend (to avoid problems on Wightblat *thumbup*).

• Area Representative

Not sure that the starter relay mod will cure your problem, but it's not a difficult or costly job and it will do no harm. If you want details of how to do it, send me a blatmail.

As Steve suggests, it could be a poor connection. I suggest cleaning all the battery and earth leads including those to the battery isolator (FIA) switch if you have one fitted.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional