Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/P Gasket Mod

wild bill

Right then, 1.8 K series 188 bhp (probably a bit less now) with apollo (yes i know some people think they are a WOT)

Removed Foam following a search on tech advice here.

Drilled Sump gasket as instructed and in fact made the holes a bit bigger

Tight right handers with larger G's (i.e with a faster than usual speed so track stylee) in other words mainly roundabouts produce drop in O/P

Any suggestions?

Never had a problem with the foam before but i don't want to fit it again because of potential hazard, baffle is AFAICS unproved, dry sump expensive. Do i need further gasket modding? on the next oil change (i change oil very regularly about every 2000 miles and after and before track days which i do less frequently now)

having said that O/P when car warmed up is now 30 (just under if driven hard) whereas it used to run just above 20 when driven with spirit so the idle pressure has improved and the running O/P sits normal at about 60 ish

Edited by - wild bill on 2 Apr 2008 20:44:38

Check the oil pick-up pipe is not hard onto bottom of the sump. Difficult to tell but sometimes there are witness marks. So take the sump off & either mill the area to provide clearance or modify the pick-up with a large screwdriver in between the 3 pips (use the screwdriver to develop pips in the opposite direction between the existing pips)to allow better clearance.

Have a look here & here for some pics etc. BTW I think the Hellier baffle helps prevent surge.

I would avoid modifying the oil pickup by increasing the depth of the pips. *nono*

If you think about this, although you may increase the oil flow when the sump is full of oil you will be at greater risk of sucking in air when the sump is starved. If the pips are 3mm deep you only need 3mm of oil to avoid sucking in air, if the pips are increased to 5mm deep you will be sucking in air with the same 3mm of oil in the sump. ☹️

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

I've no experience with K series engines but the Vx wet sump has a similar foam baffle. If these are not changed at about 6k miles they will clog. We recently had a friend's Vx in with low running oil pressure (30 - 45 psi flat out on a good day). We removed the foam, which didn't seem too bad - I've certainly seen worse -replaced it with new and, bingo, 60psi running, 30 at idle.

If you don't know the history of the foam, change it. Its not a pretty solution but it does work and is better than no baffle, as you've just found out.

Cue Oilyhands!

Paul

• Leadership Team

I sufferred the same problem with my 1800K and managed to reduce the problem by fitting a softer (older!) spring in the oil pressure relief valve. I never really did manage to work out a way of properly explaining why it worked, but I think it has something to do with an increased percentage of the oil passing the valve and bleeding back to the sump rather than being pumped round the galleries to the top of the engine. Oil pressure was slightly reduced (around 3.75bar hot) but definately more piece of mind when driving hard. Prior to the change I had also noticed pressure issues going uphill and under hard acceleration - oil moving to the rear of the sump and exposing the pickup pipe.

Stu.

Wild Bill,

Apart from fitting a full dry sump system the only other alternative is an Accusump, this is a cylinder that has a piston and spring in it. When the engine pressurises it pushes the piston down the cylinder against the spring, if there is a drop in pressure the spring forces oil back into the system. Simple & clever idea, Merlin sell them circa £200. They are popular with the K Elise boy`s.

I am surprised that you are noticing such rapid changes in oil pressure as the oil pressure sender is damped which normaly masks the problem, may be your sender is on its way out.

Stu,

I fail to see any beniftit in reducing the amount of oil that is pumped around the engine *confused*

Rob

• Leadership Team
I fail to see any beniftit in reducing the amount of oil that is pumped around the engine
Rob, we all know that the Caterham K-Series wet sump is compromised especially on the bigger capacity engines. Unless switching to dry sump (which I eventually did) it's a trade-off of benefits/weaknesses. I found that by effectively backing off the oil pressure a little (only a little!) I had less air-scavenging issues, which is beneficial from a lubrication quality viewpoint, but obviously it would be preferable to run higher pressure! Once air is in the oil (despite using an Apollo) it takes time to get it out and the effective oil quantity is reduced (ie. some oil some froth).

The system has to be balanced to enable it to run low revs (as low as tick-over) without swamping the sump and crank, and high revs pumping more oil to the top which only returns under gravity. The gravity should be a constant except that it is interfered with by cornering forces, crank wind, etc. A deep sump normally takes care of the issues, but obviously not possible in the K.

The pressure relief valve only restricts the maximum pressure the system will achieve, therefore if the pumping is improved (eg by flowing the pump) this will enable better pumping efficiency and recovery from a low sump oil level. But sustained high pumping and reduction of the gravitational effect, allied with a limited system capacity will ultimately lead to starvation. Do you follow me?

I'm not sure anyone else has tried this change and it would be a benefit if any resulting effect of a slightly lower oil pressure could be quantified - certainly for general road use the reduced pressure eliminated starvation issues. My car was also used on track so ultimately I had to go dry sump.

Just a load of theory and maybe a load of b*llsh1t, but I thought the change through and it worked on my engine. My car had VDO gauges and unlike the Caterham branded versions, the VDO oil pressure gauge is hardly damped. This means that any slight changes in pressure, even momentarily, can be easily observed. The slightest amount of air entering the system will show a flick of the needle - I'm sure this is why later cars use such a heavily damped oil pressure gauge!

Stu.

Rob

I'm running a mech guage so didn't think there was a sender involved, am i wrong there?

I did a level check with engine warmed and at idle and oil was at half way mark on the dip guage. I have put another half litre in and on testing this morning once warmed up problem seems to have lessened but haven't been able to do a full test on a hard enough corner yet.

many thanks for everyone's input.

Accusump sound like a good idea Rob, easy to fit?

If you have a mechanical gauge then you do not have a sender unit and if its showing a drop off in pressure when cornering then I would believe it and do something about solving the problem. Yes the accusump is very easy to install its just a sandwich plate take off fitted under your oil filter then mount the cylinder on your scuttle. you can also add electrical solenoid valves that operate when you turn on the ignition, this instantly pressurizes the system.

• Leadership Team
you can also add electrical solenoid valves that operate when you turn on the ignition, this instantly pressurizes the system
Nice trick Rob *thumbup* Does it, and is it enough to pressurise an Apollo install because this is often a worry on some cars?

Stu.

At the severe risk of Pissing everyone off All this talk of apollos and Accusumps really is just skirting round the problem

If you are Tracking a K or running on the road at high speeds on sticky rubber

You Really need to bite the bullit and Go Dry

I went through two cranks and countless Shells before i saw the light and went 3 Stage Pace

Ive now run the same shells since 05 and abused the car no end. The expense can be justified in terms of lost time rebuilding engines, cost of same, and pure peace of mind.

Don't think about it Just do it 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

Stu,

I cannot see any reason why it would not fill up the apollo and pressurize on start up if you fit an accusump of sufficient capacity, 2pint 4pint & 6 pint are available. The apollo only drains down to equalize a level with the oil in the sump, thats about 1L at most . I would fit the 4 pint accusump.

I have no experience of running one personally, but know of people that have and only had postive things to say about them. I considered fitting one to my Duratec but the Raceline wet sump is such a good design it has not been necessary *thumbup*

Rob

Rob

Rob Contrary to your personal belief I'm NOT trying to get on you goat. Which I think you mostly presume. I don't and haven't used an Accusump on my car BUT I have friends who do. Thats not what I'm on about. I just feel from personal experience that going down the Apollo route and possible adding an Accusump is not the best idea for a K. I researched the options when I was having trouble and the result of my research led me to fit a Dry sump. It worked and worked well Friends who did one or other of the other options or in fact both, have a lot more plumbing in their car, a lot of expense, and not IMHO as good a solution. Thus my post I'm not arguing, just speaking from My Personal experience. Folk don't have to take my Crap advice they can and mostly Do just ignore me 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.