Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Redline oils

martinwhitcher

I have used MTL with some success. I wasn't aware that MT90 was a GL-4. Generally an 80 viscosity oil is recommended for the Ford and Caterham gearboxes, but it depends on temperature range. MT90 might be good for high ambient temperatures and endurance use. I would expect the gearchnge to be notchy from cold with MT90.

Nicked shamelessly from Redline's website (http://www.redlineoil.com):

"MTL is a low 70W at very low temperatures and a high 80W, nearly an 85W, at elevated temperatures, providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise. MT-90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL. The shear stability and oxidation stability of these products are excellent, thus the physical characteristics of Red Line MTL and MT-90 will change little with use.

Red Line MTL is classified as a 70W80 gear lubricant satisfying the API Service requirements of GL-3 and GL-4. MTL also satisfies motor oil viscosities SAE 5W/10W/30, and the viscosity requirements for ATFs. MT-90 is a 75W90 GL-4 and also satisfies motor oil viscosities SAE 10W/15W/40."

Redline motor oils are nice but pricey. You could consider less esoteric fully synthetic oils such as Mobil 1.