Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres again!!

76hook

• Support Team

I would get the R888s - they are better in the dry and on track. A021R will overheat on a dry/warm track and IMO don't give that much advantage in the wet.

Money no object I would recommend Avon CR500. Probably not quite as grippy as R888s on track but close and they are much lighter weight which improves the ride quality on road.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse - if you are just dry weather driving and do a few trackdays then the Toyo's are for you (or CR500's, A048's). I haven't tried CR500's myself as they are expensive but of the Toyos's and A048's I prefer the Toyos. In 13" they are £56 each from Camskill including vat and delivery *thumbup*

It's only taken four and a half years - I have started my website at last! Early days yet . . .

I went for the 13's + R888's . . . 185's front 205's rear on a DVA tweaked 1.8k and am very pleased, I am sure they are not as good in the wet as some but as I take it very easy in the wet anyway then I don't find it a problem.

( I fitted 6" rims front & 7" rears )

Thanks for that.So what we are saying then is a set of R888's.Although I have got 6 a048's that are on the wear bars.I think I will knock these on the back with a new pair of 888's on the front. Then put a new pair of 888's on the back.

I can't resist the 13" 8 spoke Caterham no longer!!! What would or could happen to the cars handling if I did go 185 on the front and 205 on the rear?? Would it change that much for the worse???

Ian

Swapping to 13" wheels would drop the car reducing your sump clearance,check on the diameters of the tyres you have now and the ones you are thinking of buying, from memory 13" 185 tyres are about 550mm and 205 tyres about 570mm, if your current tyres are for example 580mm then you would lower the front of the car by 15mm and the back by 5mm.

If you have adjustable platforms on your shocks it is relatively easy to sort out the heights, more difficult without adjustable platforms.

It is a good idea to have about 15mm rake, the back being higher than the front *thumbup*

For your power output it really wouldnt be worthwhile to swap for larger back wheels, why not buy 6" 8 spoke wheels all round with 185 tyres.

Martin

Sorry but I don't understand, do you want 205 tyres all round to maintain the rolling radius 🤔

If not then 185/60 tyres on the front will drop the front of the car, alter the rake and lose ground clearance especially to the sump while the back stays where it was.

If it is then be careful as standard wings and stays won't fit a 205 tyre under them and keep legal.

Martin

Sorry for the confusion.

I was looking at 185 60 13 on the front and 205 60 13 on the rear. I am ok about the front being a tad lower.Its the issues that the car will be overtired.But I find this hard to see.What will happen if it is overtired??

I was a tyre fitter for 3 years (about 20 years ago !) and never had any problems with cars being overtired.

Ian

Ian

I think the biggest change if increasing grip levels at the rear would be to make the car understeer, this would be minimised by setting the car to its proper 10-15mm rake back to front, sorry to harp on about this but sevens are sensitive to this and it would mean you can have the bigger tyres on the rear with no real change other than to look better *smokin*

Do a search, plenty of info on where to measure and how to alter *cool*

Martin

Andy. did you fit your 205's on a 6" wheel ? If you did, did they fit and look o.k?

I hope to change the rear from a 185 60 14 to 205 60 13 tyre.This keeps the rolling radius the same.If you changed your rears from a 185 60 13 to a 205 60 13,this will then increase the radius and make the car sit higher.Hence this is why you had to adj. the ride height.

Cheers,Ian

Ian

You can fit 205s on 6" rims *thumbup*

Andy describes the same problem you will experience except he raised the rear where you will lower the front, same result though.

I think you can still alter ride height without adjustable platforms 🤔

I have some bilsteins with platforms in the garage if your interested.

Martin