Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Recommendations for new headlamps

alextangent

One of the sealed units has gone on my 7" chrome jobbies from a 1993, and they're looking very tatty too. Time for a change, especially as the light output is, as others have noted, bordering on the criminally insane. Plus, I want replacable bulbs rather than having to replace the entire unit every time something pops.

Any suggestions? Would going down a size to 5 1/2" look silly on clams?

Thanks for the recommends and ajoploies for not seraching *redface*.

One smallish and forgotten to mention issue; stoneguards. The only reason that I think the current lamps have lasted as long is because stoneguards are fitted. SVC don't seem to do them for the smaller lamps? Nor for the really expensive *eek* Cibies either.

Alex

Most headlamp glass is pretty thick and needs a big stone hit to break it. Yes, of course it happens but not that often. I suggest running without guards.

Enjoy the unimpeded light beams and weight saving. :-)

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

The Wipac conversion that Nigel mentions is the "Wipac Quadoptic" set that's been around for years. It's cheap and a straight swap with H4 bulbs. You can buy them with or without sidelights. The only thing you need to change is the connection for the sidelight bulbs. The Sealed beam connector fits straight on to the H4.

We used to put them on sealed beam cars in the 70's. Transformed the night vision.

The Cibie is a good light but tends to be more of a pencil beam. Good for getting down the road, but bad for picking up those peripheral hazards.

IMHO.

So these Wipac Quadoptic "conversions" here replace the existing glass and lamp.

I assume they fit the standard caterham chrome trim rings?

And when the lamp in them goes, I assum you can then just replace the lamp only, keeping the glass?

I've got a cracked glass in one of mine so this seems like a good way to go.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Edited by - Ian B on 2 Apr 2008 12:02:00

Absolutely

(munches toast)

My '97 has these.

Use the little W clips to hold the reflector in, (munch) and the reflector has a little metal wotsit to engage in the slot that the glass used to fit in, (cracking toast Gromit !) to make sure that the glass lens is correctly (munch) lined up horizontally.

A few people have mounted a small round repeater indicator (Fiat?) into the side of the standard 7" headlight bowl.

There are other makes out there but I believe the Fiat one is e-marked so complies with the regs.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

I have just replaced the 'sealed beam' units in my car with a halogen conversion kit from MOTEX Automotive Distribution (they are in Chelmsford Essex).

It is manufactured by 'Ring' Part no.RL080 (£27.86 +VAT) and came with standard H4 bulbs and side lights. Didn't cost the earth and the light output if far better than the old seald beam units.

When the bulbs go I can always replace with the 50% brighter bulbs. *wink*

Richard

Just bought a pair of clear polycarbonate lens 7" units for £39.99. Originally bought some for my Land Rover. Brilliant clean light output and should stand up to stones too. Fitted a HID kit to the land rover and the difference compared to halogen lamps is unreal. Not sure it would be as easy to fit the ballasts and wiring to the Cat though.

The bowls weren't as bad as I thought when I dismantled them, so I bought a pair of Wipac Quadoptics from SVC with the high light output to fit in the original 7" bowls. Fitting was a bit of a tight squeeze; the bowls needed some fettling to let the Wipacs to seat properly. Good news; light output is terrific, much much better. *idea* *idea* *idea*

Alex McDonald

PASSED THE MOT!!!

• 1 year later...

Just dragging this topic from the past *smile*

Just bought the same Wipac headlights and I think I'm having the same issue with getting them to fit snugly in the original CC bowls (from 1995).

Can someone shed some light on the 'fettling' described above? *smile* I assume I'm going to have to bend some metal on the bowls out of the way.