Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ride Height 1999 K-Series

Tin Man

• Area Representative

With adjustable platforms fitted what should the ride height be?

At what point front @ rear do I measure the height.

Thank you

I've seen many people setting the ride height such that there is 75mm clearance below the sump. However, "ride height" is usually measured as the lowest point on the chassis, which is just beneath the front engine-mounting point (about level with the back of the front wheels).

Setting the rake depends on the handling charachteristics required, although 10-15mm is usually quoted as a good starting point.

Sorry - forgot to add that the rake is the difference between the ride height at the front and the height to the chassis rail in front of the rear wheel (where the rear suspension A-Frame bolts onto the chassis underneath the front of the rear wheel arch).

Man of Tin,

I agree with Dan. When I got my car it understeered badly. The front and back ride height were even, I lowered the front on Peter C's suggestion 20mm this improved the understeer no end. It would seem that 7's are quite sensitive to rake angle. I'd start off by deciding how much ground clearance you need at the front ( I've got 85mm which just clears most dead policemen)and then set the rear 10-25mm higher depending on how lively you like the car.

Simon

Height from the ground is only relevant relative to the wheel/tyre combo you're running. So e.g. what works well for a 185/60x13 won't work well for a 205/45x16. If you know a good number for the former then a reasonable starting place for the latter would be to add in the difference in the wheel/tyre radius.

I'm resorting to some whacky experiments to try and make the car handle well on 15in wheels (all donations to my Watts linkage fund gratefully received...).

Mike