Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tools for Build

Paul Bowden

I posted a while ago, asking what tools I needed to build my Super Light. One of the things suggested was a Tap and Die set to clean out the threads in the chassis. What is the concensus on this . Do I need this, do most people clean these threads or is this OTT . Any other pearls of wisdom greatfully received

A good read or two of the build manual will ID any "special" tools and materials you will need. Other than that a standard selection of spanners, sockets, srewdrivers, pliers etc. Torque wrench, you will probably need two, is a definate, trolley jack invaluable, small one from Halfords, good lenght of strong rope to lift engine and engine hoist hired for the weekend when ready.

I found all threads clean and clear, no need to fettle any items and that with a little bit of thought all parts fitted easily without forcing.

Paul M.

I didnt use taps on any holes. The trouble is, there are lots of sizes and thread types so getting the correct tap would be difficult (and expensive). Sets generally come in different sizes of one thread type, so one set would not fit all. If you got it wrong, you could damage the thread.

I didnt use dies either, but a thread file is handy for cleaning up a damaged bolt.

If you dont have a good socket set, get the Halfords 1/4, 3/8 one with the ratchet spanners. Buy cheap allen keys. Get a good, compact torque wrench with a ratchet. Dont spend a fortune on the Britool socket for that big nut on the rear hubs, a decent tool shop should have an imported 1/2 drive one for less than £10.

Edited by - Wag on 23 May 2002 18:46:42

I built my superlight six months back and I certainly did need the tap & die set badly. When I was fitting the wishbones both upper and lower, near and off side female threads were full of crud. I was unable to progress without sorting the problem.

There was one other tool that I needed. It was an imperial allen drive 3/8". I bought a socket and an allen key, cut the allen key with a grinder and locktighted it in place. The tool was used to fit the rear shocks. The access is behind the seats.

One other tip is that when you lower your car my trolly jack was too big to remove once the car was on the ground. Thus put a couple of small blocks under the rear wheels when lowering and then you can drive off those. Also lower the front first. I did it the other way, back first and the car almost fell off its stands.

one other good tip I got was to put the gearbox oil in the oven for 20mins. Get 3' of tubing and gravity feed the oil. A smooth quick no hassle job.

Remember to put a tray underneath.

Thanks for all the advise. I have only got about 20 days left to wait. I will call Caterham tomorrow, to get the exact date arranged. I might be on here in 21 days time asking for help. Especialy from the Cambridge crowd. I can't wait

SL 189 is on it's way