Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres (Again) - Intermediates

Steve Brown

*biggrin*or

just use the Cr500's if they are already on the car and save yourself £600 + in wheels and tyres ...... if its damp there will no performance gain from any of the above, and you will be oversteering everywhere anyway with a big *thumbup* on ya face

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Well, I've only used R888s on the Caterham, purely down to price. Four tyres delivered (13") for £220 inc VAT is great. A lot cheaper than the others from what I found.

Dave is right though, possibly more fun to be had sliding around on road tyres *cool* .

I guess your question is seeking to know what is the next grippiest (cheapest?) tyre when conditions are not suitable for slicks

I think perhaps the ".. wet enough for CR500" is a red herring

And do you know what ... "I'd like to know that as well *cool*"

I guess ACB10's could be an option ~ but not the cheapest at the same price as slicks and not durable enough if being used as a road tyre as well, however if a crossply slick is being used then the set-up is not being compromised

For a radial set-up then you have listed the alternative options

so who has experience of more than one of the tryes listed?

A10ROX now garaged with D10ROX (Red GT3)!

Edited by - A10ROX on 29 Mar 2008 14:30:17

Having tried a used set of Hankook Ventus RSS (now Z211 ?) in the damp (ie very little STANDING water) I was quietly impressed. I guess newer ones would be better. They are a fair dry weather tyre also but do wear ...

However.... I am not sure that they are still available. They were out of stock (in the size I needed for the front at least - 185 x 60 x 13) at the end of last year and new deliveries were not expected till March (this year). If they are now in stock I may well put my hand in my pocket for a new set !

• Leadership Team

And don't forget that both the tyres you opt for (the slick and "intermediate") need to work on similar suspension settings. My car is set up for ACB-10s. I tried to use CR500s on a damp Anglesey track and found them hopeless ☹️ The settings are just too far different for both for things to work anything like they should on track, road use was fine though!

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Edited by - sforshaw on 30 Mar 2008 09:13:11

Thanks all so far. A10ROX has succinctly phrased the question I should have asked - what's the next best option (without breaking the bank) if I take the slicks off? Or is the answer CR500's ie you don't get anything extra having a third (radial) option?

well it was pretty wet at Llandow on saturday. I was running CR500 in the morning which were fine. Lapping pretty much as quick as anything else out there.

Then in the afternoon I swapped over to slicks. The track was certainly wet, but without standing pools of water. The slicks were fine under these conditions, even though it was impossible to get any sort of heat into them.

So unless you are racing/competing where 1/10th of a sec a lap matter than I woudn't bother with the faff of an 'intermediate' set, personally.

and the slicks were FUN! *cool* *cool*

Steve - I thought I might get spotted if I made enough noise *tongue*; I've just got the reverser back in and need to recalibrate the speedo - that's my excuse.

MOT being done on Friday; tread on tyres just above the wear markers - I was hoping I could get the tyres changed closer to home - looks like a trip to Birmingham!

See you at the next meet (no excuses now) - Rob