Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1400kss to 1800kss new rev limit

Brucey

Having now gained a bit more confidence running my 1800 R300 engine that is using my 1400kss EU2 ECU and plenum (but retaining the R300 cams, solid followers & beige injectors), I'm now wondering what gear change and rev limit I should be using.

I hardly ever went to the change light or ignition cut out when I had the 1400ss fitted, so would I blow the 1800 up if I reached the 1400ss limits?

Currently, I haven't gone over 6500rpm with the 1800 because it pulls so sweetly changing up at around 6K.

Looking at the archives, it looks like 7400rpm is the max for an 1800Kss. Does this sound about right?

Any advice appreciated.

Bruce.

Dunno if I am going to help or hinder here, but in October 2007 I acquired a 7 that had recently been rebuilt from 1400 to 1800 by DVA - and which retained the 1.4's ECU.

Being a complete numpty I emailed Dave Andrews and asked him what he thought the safe rev limit should be. His prompt reply was as follows;

"The engine is what I would call a 'cooking' one and still has standard pistons, these represent the Achilles heel of the engine and are not really safe above 7200. If the ECU is a supersport then the rev limit is 7600 which in my experience is too high to be safe for the pistons so I would keep the RPM to 7200 rather than revving out to the limiter. If the ECU is a regular non supersport then the rev limit will be 7000 which is just fine."

Edited by - jingars on 26 Mar 2008 21:46:18

Cheers Jingars *thumbup*

I'm assuming the R300 has standard pistons and considering the extra torque I think I'll mark the Tacho at 7000rpm to be on the safe side.

It may be worth putting another mark on the tacho for changing gear. I guess this would be just after the maximum torque figure. Does 6800rpm sound about right?

I'm presuming there is a difference between revving up to say 6800 rpm for short periods whilst accelerating/changing gear and holding the engine at high revs for longer periods during overtaking or going up hills ect!

Bruce.