Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternative sidescreen closure

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Has anyone come up with an alternative to the small strap and popper arrangement at the rear of the door?

My problem with this is twofold:

1) Being a short 🙆🏻 the popper is behind the seat making it difficult to reach when seated.

2) The Tillet seats foul on the popper base when being moved back and forth.

I could attach a press stud directly to the door as there is a conveniently placed popper base on the outside bodywork (used for hood or tonneau fitting), but this only solves problem 2.

I had thought about using some powerful magnets - one on the door and one mounted to the body which should do the job. Ideally they should have some form of mechnical location as well to keep the door aligned properly. Has anyone tried this or does anyone know of a source for this type of thing?

I guess velcro is another possibility - anyone tried this?

Suggestions based on converting to aeroscreen will be ignored *tongue* (I have one but choose not to use it on the road).

thanks,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

I had a problem of water ingress under the driver side screen till I put a popper on the rear lower corner to fit onto the lowest tonneau stud. This would probably hold the sidescreen sufficiently with the strap over the sill and avoiding the use of the rear strap altogether BUT you need to be able to reach around the rear of the sidescreen when sat in the car to close the popper and I'm not sure you will be able to do this if your tillet is slid forward.

sorted my problem a treat - no wet trousers and no draft around my kidney on long runs.

Jamie *cool*

I have the Caterham 'armrests' that hook over the chassis tube running along the length of the sidescreen.

I find this holds the sidescreen closed and I don't need to use the rear popper strap.

They also help to keep out any water and draught thrown up between the sidescreen and the body.

You can buy them as add-ons from Caterham *thumbup*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

• Leadership Team

Another *thumbup* for the armrests. The armrests pull the door in tighter than with the strap - I don't even have the popper base fitted at the rear therefore nothing to foul/damage the Tilletts.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

• Support Team

Armrests it is then - not really the image I was going for in my Superlight and will only give Mark more opportunity to take the pi$$ but if it solves the problem then I guess I'll have to take it on the chin. *tongue*

• Support Team

Please can somebody post a picture of the armrest fitted in a car, preferably with a tillet seat and if possible with the seat moved as far forward as possible. I know I don't want much *tongue* but that's how we will have to use them so, before making a purchase, I would like to see if they would be OK for us.

Cheers,

Shaun