Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen Washers Failed

lofi

Hi all,

Needing to get the car MOTed after an extended layup. All is well except the windscreen washers. The switch is working ok, the fuse is ok (the wipers work) but there doesn't seem to be power at the socket that connects to the pump. Is there something simple I'm missing or is it a case of (oh my god) following the wire and looking for breaks? Car is a 2004 1.8 K-series SV.

Any clues appreciated.

Piers

Piers

I would connect another wire to the black wire and earth it to the body or battery neg and see if its works. If it is the neg wire broke then you could just run another to the brake union at the front to save tearing to loom apart. This could be why you are seeing voltage at the plug and as its a bad earth it dropping under load.

jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.

Any issues with mirrors with the screen off - currently on the doors, but no screen = no doors and hence only a single mirror. I thought there was a requirement for 2?

Still hoping to get the washers fixed! I'm wondering if the contacts have corroded away.

LoFi

FAt Car at the Back

With some more testing there is a break somewhere in the switched live from the switch so have run a new wire bypassing the loom and all is well. MOT booked for tomorrow, fingers crossed that all is ok, then the car will, with great regret, be up for sale ☹️ Thanks for the help people.

Piers