Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Play in the rear wheel bearings OK?

The Pikey

Ive just finished putting the rear suspention on and and torqued the hub bolts up and Ive noticed a small amount of play in both wheel bearings. I would expect it a tiny amount with taper bearings but not on these. Is it ok?

Thanks

Jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.

You should not be able to feel any play in the rear wheel bearings. I you can then they are worn and you will get pad knock off / long peddle following hard cornering. Unlike the fronts there is no adjustment. BOSS I would beg to differ you should not be able to feel play in the front or rear bearings, what you are looking to avoid is applying too much side load/preloading which causes the bearings to bind and overheat.

Rob, you may be able to get the rears down to undetectable play, and in that you have a point, but standard tapers like the front will always have some. Minimal, as I said, but even on anew bearing you can't get it all out without as you say overtightening it and then they *do* get hot. *smile* You are dead right that too much will give you pad knockoff and a long brake but there has to be a *lot* of play for this to happen.

If you have more on one side than another, front or rear, then it's not right.

Caterham are right to do this as a few years ago there was a bad batch of bearings.

These failed and caused single wheel seizure - not nice at speed. There were a couple of hairy incidents but no damage done as I remember.

I had one of those complete bearings and like you could not get it to be free of play when torqued up - I got a bearing repair kit from Caterham instead and rebuilt the hub I had and it was perfect... Still is.

Steve

CC did say they had a dodgy batch of bearings a while back. What they could not understand is why I have two the same and the ones from the same batch as mine seem OK on their factory cars. I'm not keen on a wheel locking up at speed so I am pleased they are sending me some more.

cheers

Jason

Currently, I am qualified to plead ignorance.

As the hub wobbles the disc also wobbles

The wobble on the disc pushes the brake pad away from the disc and when you brake you have to move the pad back to the disc giving you slack in the brake system. Not good

Autotesting in Scotland tires provided by Skip motorsport services

(Well we pull them out of skips)

Well a bit of pad knock off is good so they don't drag the whole way round.

Big pad knock off only happens on the fronts and to the extreme kerb hitters - that's why the top race boys went steel hubs i guess - they were breaking hubs. They used to pop the pads back with a light left foot before next corner...

Me - always aimed to drive to the kerb not try kill it *wink* That's why I would never be any good in that type of racing, unless someone else was paying for the car.

Edited by - stevefoster on 22 Mar 2008 19:08:11