Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Q R column and momo wheel

steve and casper

Tried to extract my 12 inch mountney fixed wheel with repacement qr column and 11 inch wheel.Loosened the u shaped bracket in engine compartment ok but the column wouldnt come out .Am I missing something here.Gave up,but kness are suffering as a cosequence.The manual wasnt clear on procedure.Anybody here got any thoughts

Cheers

S and C

Wrong section but it does not matter.

You should completely remove the clamp from the two sections as loosening it does not always allow the clamping force to release.

Next bet is to use a block of wood and hit the upper steering column/wheel to free the burr.

Apply some WD40 or same to the inner shaft and you will be able to rotate the inner column upwards and out.

A little patience and persuastion should do the trick. *thumbup*

Wrong forum 😬 and I got all excited as want a QR column. The steering lock collar on the upper column has to push out the upper bush without a fair bit of brute force. I used steering wheel to pull the top column and bush out (though a mallet on the lower end of the upper column may help, but for that you'll need to get the lower column out of the way) You'll need a new column bush Part No. B8466 £5.79

I must remember that I'm in public

If I understand right, you are trying to remove the original column prior to fitting the QR column ?

The original column won't release from the outer column without removing the upper rubber/plastic bush at the same time(directly behind the steering wheel in the dash - the steering lock boss welded to the inner column prevents it sliding out). I am afraid that this can sometimes be a bugger to get out and brute force is usually required. You may well destroy/damage the bush so I would recommend having a new one to hand. As others have said. you must entirely remove the ignition barrel from the outer column before attempting extraction

• Area Representative
A very handy tip to remove the upper column and save yourself a lot of effort and your front teeth is to get a tie down or luggage strap and tie this round the steering wheel and the roll bar. A few tugs on the strap and it comes out effortlessly.... 😬