Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Instant Steering Tune.

sjwb

Been mulling this one over for a while, what with having a correctly set rack (preload) but poor self center and feel. The vehicle geometry is correctly set.

I believe the racks are lubricated (in a very haphazard fashion) by grease. Well, I have just introduced about 100ml of EP 140 to the assembly and the results are stunning.

Go on try itteeth.gif.

Steve B

Edited by - sjwb on 22 May 2002 09:17:03

My aplogies to the musical genre.

I removed the damper assembly from the top and slowly added the oil. Be careful that you reassemble correctly, ie do not preload the damper on the rack bar.

A less fraught method is to remove the RH hand large gaiter clip and feed the oil in through the gap. The process is facilitated by raising the RH side of the car.

If you have any doubts about the damper method (because this may be an opportunity to correct a maladjusted damper) please email me offline.

Steve B

Interesting way of improving steering feel.

If you think about it, steering feel has got to be a function of so many of the vehicle configuration. Friction in the steering column, steering rack, rack end ball joints and tie rod inner ball joints all have a large effect on the steering 'feel'.

We all have a preferred steering feel, although the general requirement is smilar for us all. You will probably find the right amount of friction is highly dependent on the tyres fitted.

I guess it is well worth experimenting with the friction levels in the components listed above to come to a set-up you prefer.

Please keep us informed of your changes, and the symptoms / characteristics you find change when you make changes.

Keep the revs up.

The appropriate friction cascasde through the steering system is very much a holy grail.

Me thinks that zero friction gives unwanted information to the road; why do some motor manufacturers use parts in the steering system to introduce friction?

I guess we will know what is best soon after manufacturers start using steer by wire and thus 'manufacturing' steering feel.

Keep the revs up.

They don't actually add friction to the system, in fact just the reverse. What is added is 'feel'- mechanically via the rack characteristics and steering geometry and electrically by tuning the PAS ECM.

Remember the many different aims and requirements of manufacturers and you will see the reasoning behind the myriad of vehicle responses. This last point usually dictated by the client base. A case in point being the steady reduction of 'feed-back' to the driver on 911s. Many drivers were very much put off by the pure responses of the earlier cars; Some people called it writhing I called it sheer heaven. Ah well!

So you see, steering feel is indeed manufactured and has been for eons.

Steve B

I've got to agree with you that the feel is introduced through mechanical means such as Ackermann, castor, ground level offset, and a whole raft of other things. Does anyone fully understand all of this?

A manufacturer gives their car a steering feel, however, the real clue to what is good feel cannot be done with a passive system as the interaction between all the various components is so great.

I do know of some European manufacturers who introduce friction into the steering system to give the car feel; works too, but you have to know where to put it!

Porsch are quite unique in having a 'drivers' car in production for so long. The main reason the Porsche feels as it does is primarily down to the tyre development, and the recent reliance on power steering. Porsche do develop feel into the car, they just have to compromise it with tramlining, stability and other potentially negative aspects.

I am quite interested to know how the steering characteriastics on a Seven are viewed. Steering feel is different for everyone, you may or may not like a steering system which has friction in it, just it will depend on so many other factors. I wish to be constructive, and assist you with some of my experience.

Keep the revs up.