Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slave cylinder seals on Vx hydraulic clutch

Foxy Smith

I have just fitted new seals on the slave. As my car is a 1992 model the original seals were the O-ring type backed up with white ?nylon ring. The new seals supplied look like a much better bet, they also are supplied with white backing rings. The problem however is that the new seals are so much thicker than the originals that they occupy the whole of the recess which means that there is no room for the backing rings. Has anyone gone this way before -Arnie??- how did you resolve the problem?

PS I have fitted the whole lot together as described above and it seems to work without any visible leaks. I am reluctant to sling the engine in yet till someone tells me this is OK!

Thanks Foxy

I had trouble with this leaking and eventually changed clutch (for other reasons aswell) and went to cable operated. I can't remember the white backing rings but you are right to wait for a decent reply. I've just had to take the motor out again for sake of a tiny piece of tube in the belhousing! it's a bloody pain!

Alan, is the real issue that the new o-ring is of a thicker diameter and if so, could we make one up from my o-ring making kit? If so can you confirm diameter of the old ring...

JH

Edited by - John Howe on 23 May 2002 11:43:51