Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheels

steve and casper

Hi

Im newly inducted to all things Caterham and looking for wheels for hillclimbs for my 97 supersprint.Having found my way through the de dion/live axle stud challenge.Im

interested in finding what maximum size wheel width/diameter i can use for the hillclimbs etc to gain extra roadholding.Im going to enter the lotus 7 championship also,so any thoughts on tyre spec would be useful.So far ive bought some acb10s and cr 28s

Many Thanks

S and C

• Support Team

Maximum tyre width for the L7OC sprint championship is 235. The front runners in classes 3, 4, and 5 all run Kumho Ecsta V70A in the soft compound - take a look on the Club speed events forum. There are some supply issues with the Kumhos in 235 at the moment. An 8" or 8.5" wheel would be suitable for this size (or for 215 which most people ran last year) and most people use 13" wheels if possible otherwise 15". ACB10 are not allowed as all crossply tyres are banned. Suggested combinations are 215 front, 235 rear (class 5 most likely) or 175 front, 215 rear depending on power.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• Area Representative

steve and casper,

alternatively, go for less sticky tyres, and come and play in class 2.

Most of us run 15" wheels with 195/50 or 45 tyres all around.

Tyres are cheap, the competition is close, and just as much fun as driving with more grip.

PS - where is

up northish

Thanks for that Richard.Im a novice so presumably the lower the class the slower ??

Will prob stick to the hillclimbs and maybe stick with standard 6 by 13s with suitable moderately sticky tyres.Is the ACB 10 ban just for the 7s championship and where do i find the classification for which class i would be in.For the record Im in a 97 supersprint unmodded with a whole 102 brake and 1600 cc.thanks for your assistance

S and C

Steve & Casper

From what you've said, yours is a 100bhp crossflow? If so, with 1a tyres like Yoko A539s you'd be in class 1 , good starting place for sprinting/ hillclimbing

Good place to start looking is in the Speed Championship FAQ

If you are free this Saturday you may still be able to get a place on the novice day at Curborough where absolutely all your questions will be answered.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

• Area Representative

steve and casper,

See the clubs speed championship regulations here.

With a 100bhp 1600XF, the class that would best suit you would be our class 1, but you'd need to run list 1A tyres (standard road tyres). With only 100bhp, but list 1B tyres, you'd run in class 3, but be significantly underpowered.

If you were to run in another championship, then you'd run in the "Road Modified Kit, Replica & Spaceframed Cars with car derived engines up to 1700cc" class, but again be restricted to list 1A tyres, but, potentially, be running against cars with 180bhp plus.

With your level of power, going for tyres that are too wide may even slow you down.

Steve & Casper, I'm not sure from your post if you've got a de dion or live axle but if the latter you should steer clear of sticky tyres and go for something like the Yoko A539 for track use . Avon A021 is also good but is list 1b.

Whereabouts up north (ish) are you? I'm doing some of the club championship but also the Harewood series, it would be good to have a similarly powered 7 to compete against *thumbup*

Greg

Thanks for the feedback.Sounds like i should have researched matters before i bought the acb 10s although think these are ok for non 7 events?.Im booked in for wiscombe on the 26th april and harewood on the 10th but obviously a newbie to the track have plumped for a driving school there on the 1st may also.So far cr 28s are my only other tyre so may have to yoka myself inprep.Im in south manchester by the way and will prob look to get in class 1.Its serious stuff out there with the other classes.Need more brake horses mentally already !!

S and C

S & C, the A021 is list 1b so not permitted for class 1 of the club series or Class 4 which is what you would be in at Harewood.

I can highly recommend the Harewood school, I've done it twice. I'm entering Harewood on Apriil 13th, I probably won't do the May one as it clashes with the club event at Curborough I think.

As for the ACB 10s, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to run with those at Harewood as class 4 (road modified kit, replica etc under 1700cc) which you would fit into is list 1a tyres only.

Hopefully see you later in the year with my 100bhp!

Thanks Greg

Look forward to the meet of the small boys !!.Im planning events as follows

april 26th wiscombe

may 10th harewood

june 21/22 gurston

july 5th shelsey

26/27th loton park

aug 3rd harewood

sept 13th wiscombe

oct 4/5th anglesey

hope we get to meet if i get the tyres in time

Cheers

S and C

• Area Representative

S and C,

Quite a calender for your first year!

Wiscombe is long treck, and potentially a tricky first venue.

How have you chosen which events to do?

Have you considered how many different clubs you'll need to join to be eligible to compete?

If I were you, I would not rule out entering the clubs two Curborough sprints.

If you'd like a chat, my contact details are available here