Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Video Camera Mics

Warren S Smith

I have a SONY PC6 digital camcorder and would like to mount it on the car. Can anyone recommend a sensibly priced external microphone which I can attach which will cut out the wind noise?

Are there recommended places in the car for situating such mics.

Thanks,

looked into this, Sony do a nice stereo mic for only £60, bargain! Cos im so mean I nicked the one of my 2 year olds ELC piano thingy and fitted it in the void behind the passenger seat. It picks up cockpit conversation easily and trackday burbly noises a treat. He is the only one who watches the vids anyway so do you think I should be forgiven?

One of those cheapo "tie" mics you get a PC shops work well. Spending loads of money on a "proper" one is a waste, unless you are going to be using it for other things. Footwell is probably the best place, I tend to avoid the tran tunnel side as you pick up lots of unwanted noise. Depending on your camera, you can get problems with the mic input being too high, and the camera automatically cutting the sound off. So if you can fiddle with your cameras mic gain all the better.

Although I have never been entirely convinced that my in-car sound is as good as it could be. Needs more Weber-ness !

The freebie jobs that come with many PCs are fine. Long cord and robust.

Having experimented a lot with positioning, best place is on the passenger side bulkhead, just under the fuse box pointing towards the trans' tunnel. Blu-tac works well.

Make sure xs cable is tucked away safely and the mic plug is firmly in the camera.

Top induction, exhaust and transmission noise from there. Don't spend any great amount on a mic, not worth it.