Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

To wrap or not to wrap...

Doug

My Zetec seven appears to be cooking alternators (I've just ordered my 3rd in 4 yrs from Caterham). Does anyone have experience of wrapping the exhaust primaries and what are the actualadvantages / disadvantages. Might I be better using a strategically placed heat shield?

If it is the heat I would make a jacket for it out of the foil backed stuff.

I wrapped a section of my zorst to protect my starter and my pipe rusted underneath it - I was not happy when I found that this year. I've now made a jacket for the starter and dumped the wrap. I even put on some poppers so it an be removed quite easily, rather than using lockwire.

Phil Waters

mine's wrapped, horrible to do as you wrap it wet and then it dries. my wrap then wanted to lift off so i have a jubilee clip around the offending tube. Does look a bit tatty over time though you can buy sealant to avoid this but I was too tight to do so. does also reduce engine bay heat, my problem was the water rail that runs above the exhaust was getting hotter than i felt sane.

ps, my alternator is 'under' the inlet manifold as per James Whiting's kit of bits. no overheating there. That said, I took it to Goodwod and fired it there by overspeeding it probably although it was at the 5year mark where they seem to die anyway. So I only really know that mine died at or after a trackday.

Thanks for the views. My car is a Raceline conversion with the alternator on the same side as and about 8" from the first primary. I'm not absolutely sure that it is heat causing the problem but the inicators are that it probably is.

MY alternator is on the exhaust side (Raceline) and I've had no problems with heat. I am still running my original X/flow alternator which dates from March '96 when I bought the car!

Are you running with underdrive pulley's - I fitted those when I converted to the Zetec, also on the water pump. I've since fitted one of Ammo's Ali crank pulley's which slows them down yet further and have to blip the throttle when I first start to get the charge lamp to go out. When I had the standard crank pulley it wasn't an issue though. I just wonder if you are over-revving it.

Phil Waters

Hello

If you decide to wrap the exhaust I would use the spray on resin binder as this makes it much tougher. The metal straps sold by Demon Tweeks/Merlin Motorsport etc are very expensive, Car Builder Solutions sell these much cheaper.

CAB

Most engine suppliers I deal with sign off installations based on 125degC maximum air on temperature for alternators. Slap a temperature probe or tell tale temperature sticker on the back casing nearest the primary so you know whether it is needed.......

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬