Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bilsteins - upside down

Charlie7

I suppose that this topic has been exhausted, but what is the difference? and are these the standard shocks that Caterham supply with the Roadsport with adjustable platforms? I am about to refit mine, as they have just had the adjustble platforms fitted and would like to know which way round I should put them in...

Thanks

Charlie7

i think the only benifit is you can adjust them more easily upside down

if i am wrong someone will soon reply to this you cant do it with all shocks but i think you are ok with bilstien

fredid=blue> eek.gif

If you mount them upside down (although there is no right side up....) then the threads on the adjusters are kept further away from the dirt, the springs can be changed without having to completely remove the damper and the unsprung weight is probably slightly reduced.

Definitely OK with Bilsteins. For others check with the manufacturer.

Paul

Just about to turn mine upside down and add adjustable platforms (thanks Alex, they arrived as promised).

So tell, me is there any compelling argument for Caterham putting them on the "right way up" at all? There must surely be SOME reason and it can't be cost!

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

Fronts only can be mounted upside down. Caterham suggest reverse mounting for the fronts to make for easier changing of springs i.e. only one end of the damper needs to be unbolted.

This is perhaps not so important with adjustables but it will help reduce the unspring weight, as the heavier end in attached to the car.

JH