Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wheel Bearing Woes

MarchHare2008

How do I tell if my front wheel bearings are kaput?

I fitted widetrack front suspension a couple of weeks ago and noticed that there was a fair amount of movement in both front wheel bearings. I tightened up the castellated nut by hand, refitted the split pin and that seemed to cure the problem. However on returning from a track day at Donnington I now appear to have just as much movement back again. I can tighten again but the next use of the car will be at Silverstone on Sunday and if I have shagged the bearings I don't want the little chaps falling apart at 110 mph around Copse!

Is there a way I can tell if the bearings themselves have started to break up or if the bearing surface is damaged?

I had a similar situation where I had tightened things up, then they seemed to 'loosen off' again, despite split pin etc.

This was why:

here

- spotted the night before leaving for a summer trip!

Obviously tightening things up just allowed the crack to spread more (in very general terms)

Not to be alarmist, but please check the hub - just in case! I wiped the thing down, and it left a small hairline crack filled with dirt (marked in the images)

I don't think this is very common, so check other stuff as well, but just something to look out for.

Cheers

angus

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

102,000 miles car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 11 Mar 2008 22:14:57

Knackered bearings rumble when you spin the wheel. If shagged you will hear them singing at speed. Cracked races are as Angus said very rare.

Setting up bearings is a bit of a black art, I have thought I had one right only to find it loose the next week. *confused* Fortunately the reasons manufacturers fit taper roller bearings are that they tolerate axial loads very well and are very tolerant of endfloat such as you have.

As per charles comments, disassemble and check. Try spinning the hub when you tighten it back up, spend plenty of time getting that bit just right. Once you start tightening to adjust backup after track session its all down hill. Chances are you have not done them up enough first time, and now they are worn! I spent a bad morning in spa 1 hour before quali for this reason. I'd be tempted to fit new bearings now, as it is a race car. I've always been told, that with the wheel fitted there should _just_ about be perceptible play in the bearing when the car is jacked up. But nothing more. And of course the wheel should spin freely. I change my bearings every year now.

Also, when your bearing goes (around copse) dont panic the wheel doesnt fall off, everything goes loose and the handling goes well off, but you are unlikely to crash!! *cool*

if your stub axles are the same as mine, there are two split pin holes at right angles to each other, drilled across the end of the axle, one horizontal the other vertical. This allows you to lock the nut at half-flat intervals. You'll need to clean it to see the other one as it'll be filled with crud. But then you'll have cleaned it scrupulously anyway 😬

Yes, Castrol LM. Personally I think people tend to do them up too loose (at least in my race car experience). I hand tighten them, then do them up half a turn or so with a spanner to seat them, then back the nut off and do hand tight again. I then tend to use the 'next tighter' position, noting that there are two split pin holes so you shouldn't be more than an eighth of a turn away from a hole.

They should spin freely, but I do expect some friction. This is especially noticable when the wheel is off and you are spinning the hub but the intertia when the wheel is on overcomes this pretty easily.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

A good test if you are in doubt is to go *ever so slightly tight* but not so tight it won't roll properly then go for a ride for a couple of miles. Not fast and no heavy braking. Stop without using the brakes (as much as possible), get out and feel the bearing dust cap. If it's hot, you are too tight. If it's cold or just barely warm, put your spanners away and congratulate yourself.

I'll strip them down this evening and try to see what sort of condition they are in. I think it probably means a trip to Dartford Saturday morning to get a couple of new bearings. As the existing ones have done over 5,000 track miles I suppose it might be expected that they are past their best!

Thanks for the advice, all.

Get them to ship two sets tomorrow, for Friday delivery ! Must be cheaper than driving from Hemel to Dartford and back !!

Or - if it's any good, I could get there by 1700 tonight if you read this in time, or Friday morning first thing. Will be in Harlow Thurs and Fri. Have colleagues that live in Hertford. It could work !!

7 related photos

Really appreciate the offer, it is a bit of a trek but I need to go to return a box of wings and a nose cone that Caterham sent me in error a month or so back (they sent me the wrong colour - in fact they sent me a mix of colours - god knows what they thought I was building!). I'll doubtless think of another half a dozen bits I need on the way there, a new set of CR500's comes to mind..........

Cheers, Mark

Mark

If you need a spare pair of hands I live in Kings Langley and built my car 9 yaers ago.

Have serviced the car myself since including adjusting wheel bearings.

Would like to meet.

John

Put new bearings in this afternoon. Fairly straight forward job although I'll need to give it a run out on track to see if they are set up right I think. Can't do that on the road as its just a track car now and not road legal.

The ones I took out looked OK (if somewhat black and dirty) on one side but the other side were very dry and dusty so needed doing as they would have probably been a problem before too long.

Was planning to give it a run out at Silverstone tomorrow but looking at the forecast I'm not sure now.