Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CLICKING ECU - ANY IDEAS?

VINTAGEAUSTIN

Just re-built my starter motor and fitted back on car today, BUT......

......now when I press the big red button, all I get is a click from the ECU (EU2 1.6K Roadsport) and nothing from the starter *confused*

I have checked all the cables and connections and cannot find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas 🤔

Cheers

Glynn

Blatting for England in the Dordogne!! - Holidays at Chateau Marotte

Is the battery up to it? Check the voltage across the battery terminals with ign. off and then when you press the BRSB.

I suspect the clicking is aactually from the MFRU rather than the ECU and is a symptom of not enough current getting through to the starter.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is the MFRU that clicks!

However, whilst I do not have any meters, I have physically checked all cabling, connections etc and cannot find anything wrong. - The battery is fairly new and is showing fully charged on my Optimate.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Glynn

Just re-built my starter motor and fitted back on car today

If nothing else has changed then I would assume that something is not right with the starter motor? Can you wire it direct to check it spins up, at least then you would know that the battery and motor are ok?

I have now fitted a new starter and yet more problems 😔 😔

When I turn on the ignition, I am not getting anything from the ECU and just a click from the MFRU.

I have noticed that when the ignition is on, I am getting a faint humming from the intake area *confused*

The battery is definately good and all connections are ok.........

......HELP!!

Glynn

The faint humming is most likely the IACV resetting itself and is normal.

Doesn't this simply say that the original problem you reported still exists and wasn't caused by a faulty start motor?

It all suggests that you have either incorrectly wired something or there isn't enough amps getting to through the wiring to the starter/solenoid.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Hi Glynn,

Have a look in 7FAQ/Contribute here

*idea* If you've got a Battery master switch then they have been known to go high resistance, so allowing low current devices (ECU etc) to operate, but failing to allow enough current to drive the starter etc.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Glyn

Do a little test: connect a short lead to the positive side of the battery & connect the other end to the solenoid part of the starter. Make sure the car's out of gear as the starter should spin & engage. If it does the problem probably lies with the starter relay inside the MFRU. If it doesn't then you have a problem with your starter.

Assuming the starter spins then what to do next? The easiest way, & this is what a lot of us have done, is to fix a relay close to the battery to operate the starter solenoid. So find the original wire that goes to the starter (white & red I believe) & cut it close by the battery. Discard the long bit that goes to the starter solenoid. Use a simple 30 amp relay & use a new length of wire from the starter solenoid to terminal 87 on the new relay. 85 goes to earth; 86 is the cut end of the original wire & 30 goes to the positive side of the battery.

Why a new length of wire to the starter solenoid? Well this wire runs close to the exhaust & the resistance of a wire, constantly at high temperatures will increase. I wrap mine in heat proof wrapping. Have a look at this old thread here from 2002.

If you want a simple wiring diagram & a pic of my relay then send me a Blatmail.

Mick

Agree with Ian B re the FIA switch. I'd forgotten but I had one fail on me. Intermittent problem to start with which could be got around by holding the key into the on position.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Mick - YHM

Steve, thanks for your suggestions - it seems to be a coincidence (or disturbed connection) as the only thing we have done is disconnect the battery and change the starter. - Prior to that, it always started perfectly and I never had any other issues.

I ought to have said that when I connect the battery or turn on the ignition, I have not been getting any of the normal noises 'pump' etc.

Ian, - Good to hear from you again - please pass on my best regards to everyone at the Ringlestone