Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Floor Panel

Geoff Johnson

On Saturday I got taken for a guided tour of the Caterham Factory, it's like visiting Mecca, well somewhere I have always wanted to anyway. Whilst sitting in one of their demonstrators, admittedly with those excellent new race seats I noticed how much more room there was inside. As my thigh touches the wheel when I am driving (control yourself Anna) & my huge feet can only just work the peddles in my car I spent yesterday afternoon trying to make a bit more space for myself in my car. I have nice leather seats & much as buying a race one appeals it would look odd when everything else is blue leather, so I have removed some of the seat squabs which seems to have given a couple of inches more leg room (why is the lumbar one so thick?). Anyway the point of this ramble is that I took the drivers side carpet up & there is underlay about 1 1/2 cm thick (in a Caterham???), this is now lying on the garage floor along with the lumbar support, but having lifted, this lot I have noticed a few small holes in the floor only 2-3 mm in diameter, one under my clutch foot & a couple just forward of the drivers seat, caused by some kind or wear/erosion/mis-manufacture, definitely not drain holes. Has anybody else come across these, what is the floor made of, how do I fix them, do I not worry & just forget they are there?

Geoff

I have definitely got two holes in the floor of my 1.6K SS, just slightly forward of the seat. They look pretty round and regular, so being a novice (Only had the car 5 weeks, it's brill!) I assumed they were drain holes. You've worried me now so I shall rush straight home from work tonight and check them out properly. Incidentaly, mine didn't even have carpet, never mind underlay, just a rubber mat. Eee, rubber mat, that were luxury lad, in my day........

Mike