Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where do you carry the scissor jack ?

Paul B

Myles,

I don't carry a spare wheel, but still carry the jack. It last came in handy for removing the watts link that became disconnected on a friends Superlight during a run.

I carry mine, along with quite a few other bits and bobs, in the spares bag in the boot. I also carry a small toolbox and strap everything together.

Willie

Do you do anything to stop the jack or tools moving around in the boot?

I was thinking of putting velcro on the jack bag so it sticks to the carpet in the boot.

But I am not sure if that will be strong enough in "normal" driving conditions to prevent movement and hence damage inside the boot.

Paul B

Ditto, mine is carried in the boot strapped in with a bungee strap. Point of caution though, succesfully managed to put a small dent in the bodywork when the fire extinguisher that was simillarly strapped, came adrift!! ☹️

Talking of which, where do others carry their extinguishers, or don't you?

Foggy the Silver Seven !!

mines fastened with a couple of wing nuts to the ali plate just in front of the heater and a bungee strap round the back of the heater holding the turning handle in place. It's out of the way and keeps the boot MT.

The fire extinguisher bracket is bolted to the floor just in front of the passenger seat. It's easy enough for swmbo to get in and out but God knows what effect it would have on her if it went off whilst we were blatting 😬

rog

C7 TNT - it's Dynamite!(Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey)

Edited by - roger heeley on 8 Mar 2008 17:21:31

I made up a webbing strap with a plastic clip buckle (that you can tension) and screwed it to the wooden floor, that works fine. I think I might have some buckles and webbing left in anyone wants to do the same - as long as you have a sewing machine . . . Or I suppose I could even sew a few together if that is easier for you, then all you need to do is work out where to put it, melt 2 holes through for the screws and fit them with some self tappers with large washers under the head.

It's only taken four and a half years - I have started my website at last! Early days yet . . .

RJ,

That's fine if you don't drive the car properly, or on real roads.

If you were on a lonely Alpine road with no signal and a broken altenator belt, what would you do then?

In a performance car, which I drive like a performance car...I always carry tools. They most often get used by others...but I assure you, they do get used.

Last year alone, on one tour, in our group we had a watts link fall off, a manifold gasket fail, an altenator bolt pulley bolt failure and an altenator adjustment bolt dissappearing. On each occassion, my tools were used.

The above cars are not neglected either...they're built by VERY experienced guys.

I don't carry a spare or a jack BUT I do carry every tool that is needed on the car[inc electrical] in a canvas tool roll plus a pulling bar and a full 3/8 socket set also Torx sockets. Heavy duty jump leads and a tow rope. I also carry all the belts and cables [in fact two clutch cables]Spare plugs, coolant, pads, oil. I have changed the clutch cable on the pavement in central London and one of our team has changed the head gasket beside the road in Europe.Extensive touring makes you "Be Prepared" Like Willie I very rarely need the kit for myself but as one of the Tech guys am there for the rest of the troop.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

JJ, thats why yo need 240bhp to keep up with us. 😬

When close to home I carry my AA card and a mobile.......

When further afield touring I do carry a few more tools but as we normally tour in a group we split the tools between us.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

• Area Representative

LADS Top Tip:-

I keep the jack, spares bulbs, tow rope and a few other bits and pieces in the jack bag which I bungee strap to the chassis behind the radiator. I also cable tie spare clutch and throttle cables to the diagonal cross member under the plenum.

I have a sandwich box with tools located in an aluminium box just in front of the heater. Makes plenty of boot space and behind seat space for other essentials needed on long tours.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Opposite Lock,

Well...

I'm not actually known to be gentle to my car. It's being used to what it's built for, and that's not to be polished.

The alternator belt usually doesn't break unless you don't change it in time. Just like the cambelt.

I have to admit that I once have grounded out, and hence lost the oil drain plug. But no matter how many tools I had brought I doubt that I'd have brought 7 litres of oil too. (Honestly I didn't realise until I was in front of the garage - quite a mess! But no harm to the engine)

/r

• Area Representative

Paul

I like your solution. I must try the strapped-behind-the-rad solution.

Mine lives behind the driver's seat but needs to be moved when I put the tonneau on, so an alternative, particularly under the bonnet, would be better.

• Area Representative

Paul B.

No problem with pics. I've dropped you a blatmail asking for a reply so that I will have your e-mail address to do it.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Area Representative

I do wish that there was a (slightly) smaller scissor jack which might fit inside the spare wheel (with some padding) along with the other accessories you need when you change the wheel. This would be the best possible solution.

I did have a bag which fits inside the (in my case) 13" wheel, which I often keep in place with a rachet strap rather than the long bolt. I almost feel ready to have a MkII version made, but would probably just go and buy a suitable drybag instead.