Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the difference between the R400 and R500 flywheel?

TopQ1967

• Support Team

I guess it depends on when your R400 flywheel was made. The only lightweight flywheel Caterham supply now is the R500 one (picture here courtesy of Myles). This is lighter than the original "lightweight" flywheel fitted to the Superlights.

On the clutch front I see no reason to use anything other than the standard AP clutch plate and cover supplied by Caterham. I and many others are using this in high powered Ks and it is what was fitted to the R500. I fitted one when I had my 1900K built and it has done several thousand road miles, 2 sprint seasons and several track days without complaint.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

When I had my 1.9k built in 2006 by Dave Andrews I fitted the latest R500 flywheel & AP clutch. Previously I was using a standard flywheel lightened by a professional. We weighed the 2 flywheels against a standard one:

standard 7 kg's

lightened standard 5 kg's

R500 3.16 kg's

I haven't noticed any difference between the lightened standard to the R500 flywheel in use.

Thank you so far.

Are standard flywheels all cast?

Are all "lightweight" (R400/ R500) flywheels steel and of the same material?

Are the lightweight flywheels of the same pateren, but diferently machined? (thus different weights).

Regards

Quirin