Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calling the IT crowd

Boonie Hound

Thank you - downloaded it but my computer is not happy with it. Think it's a problem their end as my friend tried to do the same with his lap top.

Either that or the computer I have got is really a speak and Spell in a big fancy case.

However, I am feeling smug as I have finally worked out how to transfer my music from my old i-tunes library to the new one without the use of a net.

transfer it from My music on the old PC to My Music on the new PC then import into itunes

The Count helpfully assited with instructions in the big house about 6 months ago

This is easy, I've moved my music collection a few times.

The first thing to remember, given the way your post reads is that your iPod is not the focus of the where the musci is stored, the PC is. Also, before you go any further, I would make sure your last backup worked properly and is safely stored somewhere like your work so you don't have to worry about losing data that is so hard to quickly replace.

The easiest way to do this is simplicity itself really: copy the music to the music folder of the new machine, install iTunes and then import the music to the iTunes library. I actually prefer to add the Music folder to the iTunes library and this rebuilds a new iTunes database. The simply synch the iPod again to the new system.

It is going to refresh the iPod but I'm pretty sure this method means it won't necessarily go through a complete rebuild of the iPod and re-write all the music on it. Even if it does, hardly a problem as the total time can't be that long with current transfer speeds.

Count

blah, blah, blah...

Location: usually in the MRI machine again. :-( Posted - 30 May 2007 7:38

report this post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to add, moving the music is best done either by old and new PC being on the same network and drag and drop but when I went to Vista I tested my backup drive by restoring the folders to the new machine. If you do not have a backup and have no way to network the machines together and somehow want to use the iPod as the transfer then a) you are daft b) get a backup c) you can hack it but I would worry about DRM post transfer if you have any iTunes Store music

Eng 19 Wales 26 /Wales 30 Eccose 15 /Wales 47 Italy 8 /EAT MY DRAGON RED SHORTS

Edited by - Delbert on 6 Mar 2008 15:09:46

Thanks Delbert. I did something very similar by slaving the old hard drive into the new computer...so I have plenty of space for my pics. Then copied from my music file to I-tunes library.

Now to do the scary part and update the ipod - the big delete and refill.

• Area Representative

Now I might be packing the sort of tackle that you would expect to find on a Grand National winner

Grand National winner? Most of them are not "entire", as are any male horses in NH racing. You need to look for Derby winners (or of the 2,000 Guineas).