Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front ARB which one? (edited)

AndyG

First thanks to those that helped me identify my rear ARB *thumbup*

I have now sussed the front, but have green rubber, looking at the cc parts site there is no diam dim stated for the green rubber, could anyone tell me what diam my ARB is and also where the round black rubber balls go? (wait for it)

Andyg

Tantrum

Edited by - Andyg on 6 Mar 2008 12:45:34

Lacking in balls Andy ?

If yours is a standard bar (and I think it is)They screw on the ends of the anti roll bar where it enters the cups brazed to the wishbones.

Can't help with the bar diameter ....

Very easy to replace your balls or rubbers ! Do the ends of the front ARB move/rattle when grasped and wiggled ? If so, time for new balls. Simply remove nosecone, undo bolts that hold the clamps for the rubber bushes on the ARB - accessed from inside the engine bay, cut through the two tiny cable ties that hold the rubber boot between the cup on the wishbone and the ARB. If you are lucky, you can pull one end of the ARB out of the cup. If not, loosen the radiator mounting nuts until you get enough room to move the ARB to pull one end free of the cup. Unscrew the plastic ball with pliers or mole grips, clean the thread and the grease off. If replacing the rubber bushes too, now is the time to slide them off the ARB and fit the new ones. Put a spot or two of loctite thread lock on the thread and screw the new ball on by hand (tightening very gently with cloth covered grips - don't risk damaging the plastic ball !!). Grease inside cup and ease ball back into place. If you intended to replace the rubber boot, and forgot, remove the ball and repeat as above !! When all done, use new cable ties to secure both ends of each rubber boot and cut the spare end off after tightening. Job done !

7 related photos

• Area Representative

Andy,

There are a range of different ARB sizes, normally identifed by the colur of the rubbers.

Orange ½" (13mm)

Blue 9/16" (14mm)

Red 5/8" (16mm)

Green 3/4" (18mm)

Yellow 3/4"(19mm)

From yor other post, I see that you'd like the car to be more oversteery. A stiffer ARB will tend to reduce grip on the axle that it is fitted to.

The Green front ARB is quite stiff! I'd be inclined to go for a softer front bar, rather than a stiffer rear, to move the balance of grip by making the front grip better.

What tyres are you running, and how much negative camber are you running at the front? Front grip can be improved by running around 2.5degrees negative for track use with radial tyres.

• Area Representative

Andy,

both the red and the blue are popular.

Do you have any idea what springs you are running? Standard Superlight would have 150lbs/in front springs (where the diameter of the wire is about 8mm, and there are 8/9 coils). The standard rears would be progressive (identifed by the coils being wound more closely together at one end than the other).

If you have stiffer front springs, then a softer front bar (blue or even orange), but with standard springs, I think you'd find that a red bar would work quite well.

Freestyle make an adjustable front ARB that, I understand, goes about as stiff as the red bar, and as soft as the orange.

Hi Andy

replied to your email

forgot to say rear springs are linear not progessive

A few people run the freestyle adjustable front ARB at its stiffest about 14mm *confused* (stand to be corrected)

Also, I find the rear bar easy to adjust

you can tell the difference bar stiffening the rear by one position

Regards

Edited to add if you want oversteer add 5-6psi extra into your tyres certainly worked on Le Sept last year *wink*

A10ROX now garaged with D10ROX (Red GT3)!

Edited by - A10ROX on 6 Mar 2008 19:57:10