Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Light Switch

Mrs Kipper

I've disassembled, cleaned and reassembled quite a lot of these switches now. They become dirty due to arcing caused by bad installation. Owing to the fact that a Caterham brake pedal only moves a slight amount, the brake switch only disengages a tiny amount, which leads to arcing.

Take the switch off the car and carefully flip the back panel off the switch. There's a spring inside (I know. I searched for 40 minutes inside RatRace's van on the Se7ens list Euro2001 tour for my spring) so be really careful. Clean the contacts with some lightly abrasive paper and a give it all a light spray with some switch cleaning solution... or WD40 if you don't have "servisol" handy.

On refitting, make sure that even the lightest touch on the pedal causes the lights to come on. This way you can be assured that in normal use the pedal is pressed firmly and the switch is fully switched on - i.e. the gap is large enough to prevent arcing in future. Make sure the return spring on the pedal is sufficiently strong enough to prevent your brake lights from coming on when driving over a bumpy road though...

Personally I think a hydraulic one is far superior in principle, for the reason you state and I've never had one fail in the years I ran old Minis, but it seems that people often complain about them in the Caterham-world.

My pressure activated brake light switch became "tired" ie would only activate the lights when stood on with huge force, being a nosey bugger I took it to bits, and the diaphragm which made contact with the two wiring connectors had corroded, thus offering a high resistance circuit, and no brake lights in normal operation, but this does seem to be its only failing, and that after 18 years.

Mine seems fine after> 30 years and I have driven a fair number of old bangers/classics where the pressure switch seems to have an unlimited life. Would modern brake fluids have any bearing? I still use Dot 4 and I guess that the higher spec fluids which might be more hygroscopic could induce corrosion. Two steps forward and one back?

Good news Kipper.

I've had a whole range of minis, all over 20 years old and they have all had the hydraulic switch which has never failed. The advantage with them in my opinion is that people can't ride the brake pedal, causing the brake lights to light up. The lights only work when there is real braking force. Much better in principle.

That said, I can't be arsed to change mine. I don't ride the brake pedal anyway... In fact, I rarely use them. teeth.gif

Edited by - V7 SLR on 22 May 2002 10:01:57