Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Suspension thingy

AndyG

When the rear wheel is off, i can see a horizontal piece of steel with 4 holes in it, which looks like a lever. There is a small rod from one of the holes down to what i think is the axle.

The other end of the lever finishes in a small box, from which there is a 20mm approx rod running across the car (behind the bulkhead) to the same configuration at the other side.

Yes i am a numpty. *confused*

But the holes in the lever obviously allow adjustment to the suspension, which end does what?

If i relocate the small rod to a hole nearer the fulcrum point what changes will occur?

Andy

Tantrum

This is the adjustable rear anti roll bar (ARB) mechanism. The drilled bar connects to the rear ARB and in a corner one wheel compresses and the other rises as the car rolls. The ARB does its job by twisting, if you look at the mechanism you will see you have to bend/twist the bar to compress the susp on one side compared to the other. This is hard work. The attachment point varies the amount of twisting and hence resistance to roll. For road use the rear ARB is generally disconnected.

*arrowup*oh yes indeed!

On my car, with the stiffest front bar fitted (green) on narrow track front, setting the rear at the second hole from the front gives pronounced oversteer in slow corners. Goodness knows what the front hole does.....

For road use I generally have it on the rear hole, on the track I have it one in from the rear.

Bear in mind that the bar that you have on the front will make a difference - a softer front bar will indicate going even softer on the back, ie rear hole only or disconnect. (easiest way to disconnect is to undo one side only and tape the droplink to the bar itself.)

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Edited by - mwoodham on 3 Mar 2008 09:47:20

AndyG,

Yes you will have a front ARB. It runs from one upper suspension wishbone round the front of the chassis behind the radiator and through a couple of coloured (different depending upon thickness of the ARB) bushes to the other front upper wishbone.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

If its an older car the bushes may look as black as the chassis 😳 *redface* so clean with a cloth to discover the colour.

If you click on 7FAQ in the top right corner of the screen you should be able to see a list of what colour means what hardness...

I have just discovered mine is green 😬

---

my mind is blank....