Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series - Setting to 90oBTDC

shn7

Setting to 90oBTDC - does it matter which direction the markings on the sprockets are pointing? Only ask as one of the manuals I have for the K Series shows a drawing with them apparently set so that exhuast points to inlet side and vice versa *confused*.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Edited by - Steve Newman on 1 Mar 2008 22:23:21

Edited by - Steve Newman on 2 Mar 2008 11:42:23

Might I suggest that you try the zip-tie method and use your noggin?

here

You'll have to divorce yourself from the markings - but will need to work through what's actually happening in your mind. Can't be a bad thing... *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Err.. categorically no it does not matter which way the arrows point. You will just move the engine on by a complete revolution/half a cycle if they point the other way. It may be 180 degrees on the cam sprockets but it 360 degrees on the crank. The timing will still be OK, it's just that cylinder 1 will be doing what cylinder 4 was and vice-versa. Just ensure that *both* sprockets are pointing in the same direction and all will be well.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 2 Mar 2008 07:06:04

Thanks Oily. That diagram linked to by Malcolm is the very one I was confused by, though not from seeing it on your web page.

Malcolm, if you think about that diagram you'll see that the " *arrowleft*EXHAUST" markings are pointing to the inlet side of the engine which is where my puzzlement came from.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Malcolm, if you think about that diagram you'll see that the "left arrowEXHAUST" markings are pointing to the inlet side of the engine which is where my puzzlement came from.

TADTS

has confused a few in their time so don't worry.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

*mad*Refitting the crank pulley and whilst tightening it, my homebrew flywheel locking tool slipped allowing the crank to turn *mad* 🙆🏻 *mad* *mad*

I can undo the pulley bolt, remove the cam belt and reposition the crank to what I think os 90oBTDC but as this crank pulley mark didn't originally line up with the mark on the bottom belt cover how can I be sure I've got it right? Wish I'd marked the original alignment now *idea*

How far would the crank have needed to turn to have done any damage at the top of the engine? I heard a noise as it slipped that could have been from the flywheel locking device or more worryingly from pistons meeting valves.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

The crank would need to turn around 70 degrees before you get anywhere near the valves.

make sure you turn it back in the opposite direction to the way it slipped.

Remove spark plug 1 and spark plug two, align the crank *near* the 90BTDC marker, then measure down the plug holes to the top of the piston on cylinders 1 & 2 with a piece of tig wire or lonmg cable tie, when they are the same height and number one piston is on the rise when the engine is turned clockwise then you are at 90BTDC.

Note the pistons will not be exactly halfway down the bore, merely level in the bore.

Oily

Thanks Oily. Mucho relief to hear I haven't contacted pistons to valves. Only turned about 15 degrees.

Back to the garage with some measuring to do. *thumbup*

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Steve

If you need a locking tool I have a hefty home made K series crank locking tool, it replaces the starter motor when working with the engine in-situ, you are welcome to borrow it.

I am quite local to you at Clanfield, nr Waterlooville.

John

Superlight #11 now R400R powered

strij,

Many thanks for the offer but all sorted now. My locking tool needs to be mounted differently depending upon which direction I'm trying to turn the engine. As previsouly stated it's a homebrew item which with hindsight I could have done rather better.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR