Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hose Clips

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I am looking for some decent quality hose clips to seal new heater hoses on my car. The ones in Halfords were cr@p so I thought I'd look online. Rally design seem to have some OK ones.

Question: how are they sized? Does the size of the clip refer to the outside diameter of the hose or to the inside diameter? I've measured the outside diameter of the hose as 23mm (inside is 5/8"). Seems like it's outside diameter.

Anyone got a good source of good quality clips? I've heard "Mikalor" ones are the best.

edit:

I've found Mikalor clamps on line - nice but expensive. They also only have a small range of adjustment. Does anyone know the common outside diameter sizes of hoses for a K series 7. i.e. heater hoses, radiator hoses, thermostat housing / submarine pipe?

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 29 Feb 2008 09:07:17

Shaun

Mikalor are IMHO the best and there is a company near you that stocks most sizes but I can not recall their name. I'll check when I get home and post again. Mikalor do different grades and these are listed in the latest Demon Tweeks catalogue. Do you have silicone hoses if so I can tell you what sizes you need.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Hi Shaun,

I went to the Classic Car show at Alexander Palace last weekend, there is a guy who does a lot of the shows and he had a good range of clips some like the Mikalor ones, I have done a quick search and his details are below

Steve's Stainless

Unit 11

Tardebigge Court

Hewell Lane

Tardegigge

Redditch

Worcs

B97 6QJ

Phone 01527 831451 / 402033 mobile 07974 478136

Chris

K93 AMJ *wink* *thumbup*

• Support Team

Mark, I have mostly silicone hoses so yes please let me know the sizes I need. I couln't get a good seal with the radiator bottom hose so went back to rubber but I guess with Mikalor clamps I could put the silicone one back on.

The heater valve to heater hoses that I am replacing are rubber though. I think a 21mm-23mm clamp would work for those.

Chris - thanks.

The dimension refers to the outside dia of the hose.

When I bought the short valve to heater matrix hoses from CC recently, I got the hose clips from them too. Decent ones with a nice wide clamp band. Purely from memory, they were something like 17-26mm (which is the range of sizes they will cover.

I too have tried some cheap ones from motor factors, to replace the original CC clip together design (which were hopeless !!) - they too were poor, as the slots that the screw drove on went right through the clamp band, and sliced up the hose !!

You want proper hose clips with a smooth band on the inside, and the drive teeth only on the outside of the band !

7 related photos

Shaun

I will take a look at the car later today and post the sizes. I have also emailed Mike Sankey who provided he is not having a 'Saga moment' will probably know the name of the company who can supply the hoseclips as they are near where he works and he kindly picked up a few for me last year. The Mikalor clips are not cheap but they are excellent quality and will not damage hoses like other clips.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 29 Feb 2008 10:29:27

Huh - what a cheek - especially as Mark has forgotten the name!!!

I got them from these people

http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/mikalor/

They are (or say they are) the UK importers of the clips (from Spain I think) and they actually supply Demon Tweeks etc. They certainly had clips in sizes that others didn't have and they were very good to deal with.

For those of you who like Max Power stuff - like clear lenses (you know who you are 😳 😳) they have some pretty sophisticated bits for Scoobys etc as well *wink* *wink*

They are not quite so near to me now as we have moved offices to the other side of Heathrow (fantastic *rolleyes* *rolleyes*)- but if I can help let me know.

Mike

Shaun

The sizes are as follows (note all hoses are silicone):

Top hose to water rail: 40-43mm at each end

Bottom hose to submarine: 40-43mm at each end

J tube: 40-43mm at the submarine, 43-47 at the thermostat housing

Heater bypass at water rail: 25-27mm

Header tank to submarine: 23-25mm

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Support Team

I went to Power Engineering on Saturday and they no longer stock Mikalor (although they will order them for you). A web search today found a few places but the best price I found (and good stock levels) was here: http://www.actionsealtite.com/products/index.asp?cat=78. I ordered the Supra Ferritic clamps which are a stainless steel band with a zinc plated bolt. These seemed a good compromise between price and corrosion resistance. The all stainless ones were more than double the price but still good compared to Power Engineering and others (and in fact cheaper than the JCS ones from Burton).

I really wanted the Mikalor clamps for their even clamping force around the entire hose. They should arrive in a couple of days so will post up my thoughts then.

Edited by - Shaun_E on 3 Mar 2008 13:09:31

• 1 year later...
  • Support Team

Hi Russ - I now have these fitted on most of my hoses and they work very well. I put the silicone lower radiator hose back on and have had no problems with sealing it (previously even with 3 standard clamps it leaked).

I am happy to recommend them.

Shaun