Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Improving the Cx

Pierre Gillet

Another way to improve performance is obviously to improve the Cx. I saw somewhere that it is actually very high (0.6?).But there is probably very little that we can do. I changed the side mirrors and put a small motorbike licence plate on the front. That is about all.

Other ideas?

I do not know the legalities of it, but the guys at work who are into motorbikes & specifically streetfighters suggest I should replace the headlights with motobike style twin ones (don't know what they are called) I have not, I'm too addicted to looking in the reflections of my lovely shiny ones at night

Geoff

The coefficient of drag for a 7 is roughly the same as dutch barn (with good sized cow shed on the side).

About the biggest change you can make is to change to an aeroscreen.

Everything else is just cumulative small changes such as changing you headlights to smaller ones to reduce frontal area, taping up loose wites and bonnet springs etc to give a smoother air flow, cleaning up the underside (cut off protruding bolt heads), make the rollbar into a more airfoil shape (round is one of the worst shapes you can use) etc etc.

However unless you put in some serious work and possibly seriously change the look of your seven I doubt you'd see much advantage below 80-100mph...

Although reducing drag is obviously going to make a difference (not withstanding it being difficult to actually change this without altering the classic appearance of the car) the other, just as fundamental, factor in aerodynamic efficiency is the total frontal area - from which point of view a Seven is better than almost any other car. So the coefficient is woeful, the frontal area wonderful and the net package fairly poor without being completely useless.

One reason that Sevens feel like a parachute is because the effect of engine braking is roughly doubled because of the halving of the momentum due to weight.

And I very much agree with Geoff about the headlights - what else is there to do when stuck behind traffic but admire the length of one's bonnet. Or something.

There is/was a 'Rocket' for sale at Caterham HQ. Info. still on website?

Very neat car! If aerodynamics is 'your thing' then don't buy a 7. I too love the look of the car from the headlight shell reflection. Poor Superlight owners with those black blobs; serves 'em right bah!!!!