Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake pads

allegro

I am about to change my pads for the first time. Can anyone suggest good replacement pads for an SLR. Green stuff/Red stuff question.gif

The car is mainly used for road but I am planning on more sprints and track days this year.

Thanks

Andy Mac

teeth.gif Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn. See you at LeHoux teeth.gif

From what I know from the EBC box it says Green Stuff is for road use and 'possibly' track use where the temp doesn't exceed 550*c. For track work, the Red Suff is for the higher temps encountered on this sort of use.

I have always thought it was a case of drive to the circuit on Greens, put plastic gloves on, change to Reds for the track and then change back etc etc. It seems to me that the people who have worn out the Greens very quickly on the track are because the pads are exceeding the 550 temp. & therefore they are breaking down.

EBC pads are pish! avoid them at all costs if you are planning any track work.

I wore a brand new set of Redstuff down to about 2mm in half a day at rockingham and that on a Live axle X-flow with 4 pot calipers, thats about 60 miles in total. Don't listen to what anyone says they're crap!! if you get greenstuff after one track session they will have lost all there bite.

If you want the best pads buy Pagids,they are very expensive but you get what you pay for after all.

Ferodo DS2500 are also very good and far superior to anything EBC make, are reasonably cheap at about £50 a set and last very well.

Graham

Don't know what brake setup you have, but try carbon fibre Hawke HP Plus pads (HP Plus are black). They really are good and have the following advantages...

1) work from stone cold to circuit heat

2) solve the over-braked rear problem of the Seven

3) aren't too heavy on discs (which are cheap anyway)

4) ain't too expensive!

Felix the K has been using them for years, myself for a couple on standard front brakes.

Try Cambridge Motorsport 01767 677 969 or Racer Wholesale in the US. Should cost less than £40 for the fronts. Cheaper than Caterham's setup... and as good!

I changed pads at the weekend, and after trawling through the archives here, you'll find many opinions on pads.

I had Greenstuff, but was never totally impressed with their bite. I switched to Mintex 1155 race pads as I do a lot of track work. After warming them up yesterday, I was very impressed. Therefore I'd imagine Mintex 1144 would be great if you're mainly doing road use.

I have a couple of mates who swear by Pagids (Blue), but their more than double the price of EBC/Mintex etc ....

cheers, Matt