Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lathe - Colchester Bantam 800

strij

Bantam lathe 51/2" X 20".

Includes makers cabinet/stand, 3 jaw sc chuck, quick change toolpost and 2 carriers, full set of imperial and metric change gears for threadcutting.

Machine is ex school so has very little mechanical wear.

£750

Full set of imperial collets and drawbar also available

Picture here

John

Superlight #11 now R400R powered

Edited by - strij on 28 Feb 2008 00:03:11

Peter

Yes it is 3 phase and I have run it on an inverter for the past 10 years which is much nicer than online starting and gives infinetly variable speed. Cheap single to three phase inverters available on auction site. Easy conversion to single phase if needed.

I can supply some HSS and tungsten tipped cutting tools.

Also comes with coolant pump, tank and low voltage light

Nice lathe, my Dad has one, I've used it to make up small parts. S4 is right, this has a bigger capacity than a Myford. Accessories are pretty easy to find too. £750 is a very fair price for the goods described, good luck selling.

One word of advice - 3 phase inverters are generally bad news on a lathe. I've seen one used(on the Bantam) and it generated a dirty supply that caused the motor to run roughly, with the thing rattling from one end of the backlash to the other. IMO a better route is to swap the motor, budget £50-100 secondhand. Maybe these days the things are better but proceed with caution.

Boss

Thanks for the comments.

I think your experience was probably an exception, many of the lathe manufacturers now fit inverters as an option. Was yours an inverter or a converter which is a very different crude beast and never produces properly balanced phases.

The Bantam ran very smoothly with no vibration and lovely smooth accelleration/deceleration. I could also run it at about 4RPM which is great for tapping. Setting the inverter current limit to a low value acts like a slipping clutch should the tap tighten up.

If you were to see one working properly I am sure you would be impressed.

Cheers

John

Edited by - strij on 28 Feb 2008 00:07:17