Click here if you are having website access problems ×

14" list 1a tyres (help/suggestions)

wheely

Was looking to fit A539 yoko to my car this year as my tyres are older than i would like. The tyre is discontinued and stock appears to be none existant. Any thoughts from anyone on an alternative out of the 1a list. Current size fitted is 185/65/14.

Bridgstone Protenza RE720 used to be the 1a tyre to go for until the Stunner Scudo came along. The Scudo is no longer available unless you can find some old stock. Marangoni Zete Linea may be an alternative (Marangoni own Stunner)

Class 4 Zetec *cool*....and suffering withdrawal symptons

• Area Representative

wheely,

I don't recall seeing anyone using 14" wheels over the last couple of years. The choice of tyres is not that great.

Whilst a few years ago, the accepted move to make was to 13" wheels and run 185/60 13" tyres, with Bridgestone RE720's being the tyre of choice. However that tyre is no longer available in 13", so most of the list 1a front runners swapped to 15" wheels, where the Stunner Scudo if 195/45 or 195/50 15" has worked quite well for the last few years. There is still a good choice of tyres available in 15", with Toyo T1R's not looking to bad, but time will tell what the next tyre of choice will be?

Are you sure they are 185/65 - 14" (that would give quite a tall profile) the normal 14" size is 185/60-14".

How bad are your existing tyres (bearing in mind that all list 1A tyres are not great!!)

Greg,

I know of at least one car that has been fitted with a set of brand new 185/60-13 A539's over the last few weeks.

Wheely

I think you should be looking for 185/60/14 rather than 65 but , yes A539s seem to have disappeared.

Probably worth a chat with George Polley who is always very helpful and may be able to track down a set.

Must admit the 14 inch choice looked a bit sparse on all the online sites.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

I know of at least one car that has been fitted with a set of brand new 185/60-13 A539's over the last few weeks.
Think Richard may have been referring to me. I got a set of 185/60-13 Yoko A539’s from George Polley in mid Jan for £167 delivered. Off to Curbs tomorrow to see if they are any better than my 5 year old Avon CR322’s *redface*

Steve - Orange and Black ex Academy

Thanks for the replies. Its the 14" A539 stock that is unavailable. Spoke to polley's at A/Sport show. The rubber on the car is NCT but as I said older than I would prefer. I have no problem going to 60 profile but not in position to change wheels. I have to say that I its highly unlikely that I will leading a pack of dogs with my current driving experience so it was more about your thoughts on whats out there to fit my 14" rims.

Not getting any easier to find anything in 14" ☹️. RE720 stock is proving impossible to find now. Dilema time now. Should I go out and put on:- C.Drive Yoko, ER300 Bidgestone, ZZ3 Avon, the list goes on but it would be nice to fit something that has some form of recomendation instead of spending the dosh and finding out later that all of sudden "tyre x" was the one to go for as was the case with the Stunner etc. I can only dip my toes this year anyway and just wanted to find some decent rubber to last a couple of years.

• Area Representative

Wheely,

surely these wheels here are worth a look? He's not asking much more than four tyres would cost, and the 13" wheels will always have a better resale value than your 14" wheels.

I can only dip my toes this year anyway and just wanted to find some decent rubber to last a couple of years.

Why not just come along and "dip your toes" with the tyres that you have?

There really is not that much difference between any of the list 1a tyres, and far more comes from the way the car is driven, than the tyres.

Thanks for the posting Richard, I took a look when you posted the suggestion of going to 13" but I have ital axle so its not to be this time. The age of my tyres was my first and main concern although they look in good order regarding any cracking on sidewalls etc. I built the car 91-93 on a tight budget at time. The wheel and tyre combination seems a mistake now but these things happen and although it looks difficult to choose a replacement tyre I just wanted to see what the list 1a drivers thought about what was out there.

I agree with you about not stopping me having a go though,be there on the 22nd, new tyres or not.

Hi Neal. Spoke to Camskill this afternoon re the A539. Going to 50 profile takes 2" off the diameter of whats on the car now and they thought that may be to much with no adj. platforms and a much stiffer sidewall etc.Again you may be able to advise if choosing a lower profile may improve or upset the live axle handling on a standard car. There are options at 60 profile so going to leave things for now for a week or so then decide what to fit. I appriciate everyones efforts in trying to help with my dilema. Thankyou. I am in Lincolnshire near Notts border.

Spoke to Polly's this afternoon. Steve has suggested the C-drive Yoko as a viable alternative to A539 and is its replacement. It was tested at Mallary back to back running on a Saxo I beleive he said and was within a 10th of the A539 time for the lap.(Not that Iam to concerned about that at present). Camskill sugessted Toyo CF-1. Both are £32 + the vat. Thanks again all for your input.