Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Idea? Stop door rubbing bonnet paint !

SMerK

I do not know if this is a new idea - or even if there is an existing part on market ...

assuming not : I am using my 7 as much as possible to blat to work. This means using in very wet / dirty state. Paint on bonnet gets rubbed by the door when open & scratched ☹️

Thought of ways around this *confused* - came up with this idea that works *smokin*

I have added 5mm packer / washer to one of the four scews holding on door hinge. This makes the screw head higher and causes it to touch the screen upright sooner. Result is that door still sits in open position but without touching the bonnet 😬

Obviously will touch if windy or thrown open - but generally works a treat. I may even look around for a better screw or rubber topped solution - just as long as the principle is the same.

Photo's see here (hope they make sense) : Door Stop albumn

Hopefully this idea can help more 7's stay looking good .......

Question : I'd like to ask while I have your attension : since using my 7 in cr*p winter weather & salted roads the aluminium screen surround is water / salt marked. ☹️ Any suggestions to clean / stop this. Any cleaning / treatment products known to anyone?

Thanks for any help available 😶‍🌫️

SMerK

Edited by - SMerK on 26 Feb 2008 21:54:41

I think you'll end up busting the hinge, especially in the cold.

As for the screen - mine did that too ater a winter of driving. Unless you remove the roof and wash it immediately, I don't think you will be able to stop it - it's corroding the anodized layer a little more than it already is and won't polish off. Look on it as a sign you use it as it is supposed to be, rather than as a semi-useless garage ornament 😬

Bri

A good idea, SMerK!

Regarding hinge durability, if the spacer was fitted in the lower of the two bolt holes, it would reduce the bending moment on the hinge pin. Replicate the arrangement on the top hinge also and further reduce the stresses.

Well worth a go! Worst case is having to fit new hinges. Nothing ventured, etc...

[Alternatively, could always try fitting an aeroscreen where the door rubbing the bonnet is NEVER a problem *eek* *tongue* 😬]

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Thanks for comments -

the forces on the hinges appear minimal as I've learned not to throw the door open (to protect the paint), however, if they do go I think a few of these will be worth the lack of damage to the paint on bonnet - we'll see. Second spacer is a logical step ...

Stone chips.... yup but best drives to work I've ever had & not even got to summer yet! 😬

Aeroscreens ready & willing but were a bit cold when used on 24th Dec!! 😬

-6 C and roof off 😬 😬 😬

Edited by - SMerK on 24 Feb 2008 23:11:08